Existing Member?

Return To Australia Accounts of my working holiday

IDC and IE

MALDIVES | Saturday, 23 April 2016 | Views [284]

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life...

So, it's been awhile since I've arrived in the Maldives and I think I'm passed the adjustment period, however that doesn't mean I haven't been emotionally sidelined at times. Let's see, since the last update I've been doing quite a bit of DM work in the shop. I was mainly assigned to do orientation dives with customers and then do boat dives with them whenever they went out. I got to watch one course, but that was about it, so hopefully more will come.

About two weeks ago we started out Instructor Development Course (IDC). It was back to school with lots of studying in presentations. But don't worry, I still have time to catch up on my shows and even get hooked on a new (but old) show, Gilmore Girls. I was surprised at just how non stressful the IDC was. I was prepared to be stressed to no end based on what others had told me, but I think I had prepared myself sufficiently enough to not worry so much. It was actually quite fun at time. We did many exercises, and my favorite was when we got to pretend that we were the worst diving students ever for a Discover Scuba Diving course. I haven't had that much fun underwater in a long time. I had to keep clearing my mask since I was laughing so much. I used up so much air for such a short dive.

As it got closer to the Instructor Examination (IE) the heat cranked up a bit. I was starting to get a bit stressed. It didn't help that PMS was starting to rear it's ugly head as well. Our examiner wouldn't arrive until about lunch time, so we were left with one whole morning to wait and worry about everything. I very much agree with Tom Petty "the waiting is the hardest part." I nearly made myself sick that morning. I was starving, but couldn't eat. To make matters worse, the very first thing I discovered in the morning was that Prince had died. I was floored. I greatly enjoyed his work throughout his prolific career, and being from the same state, it was heartbreaking. It got to me more than I thought it would. I think the stress of everything was coming together. I was struggling to hold back tears in the morning after breakfast before we began. I needed something to take my mind off everything.

Finally we were able to begin our exam. We had a late day our first day. We did presentations in open water, rescue diver exercises, in class knowledge development presentations and our theory and standards tests. I think I finished up around 9. I shoved some fries into my face and headed to my room to decompress. It's funny to see how I react to stress. After the in water presentations that afternoon, I felt so much better. I had my personality back. I was dancing and being ridiculous outside the classroom and I was back to the crazy weird person I am. It didn't even bother me that I had three more hours of exams to sit through as well as more water presentations the next day.

This morning, we had to finish up. We has a confined water presentation too do as well as some skills to perform. It was ridiculously low tide, so we edged closer to the jetty. After our presentations and skills, we cleaned our gear got changed, and were all given the good news that we passed. After that, it was obligatory jumping and certificate picture time. We were all so relieved. And exhausted. Once we said our goodbyes we were given the rest of the afternoon off. I continued to look up more news and celebrations of Prince and then had an early lunch as I was starving. Even though it was cloudy, and had been raining for the last couple of days, I was determined to head out to the beach for a bit to listen to some Stuff You Should Know, fix my terrible wet suit tan which had gotten egregious, especially on my arms. I've never had a farmer's tan before, and I didn't want one now... especially seeing as I wasn't even working on a farm. The rain decided to cut my beach visit short, but that allowed me more relaxation time in my room.

I was still on my Prince kick, so I watched the New Girl episode with Prince and was delighted once again. I continued perusing videos of his performances and finally lost my shit when I watched a live performance of purple rain. I was doing that sort of smiling happy/sad cry where you have good feelings because what you're watching is so beautiful, but it's sad because it won't be able to happen live again. I don't know what the deal is with all the musician's that are being taken. Somewhere, there is a killer concert and jam session going on. I happened to discover that a radio station back home, the Current, is playing Prince's full discography, over 26 hours. Thanks to the wonderful world wide web, I'm able to stream and listen. (Even with this outrageous internet situation).

For tonight, we will have a small celebration of sorts, and I may just let myself watch 'Purple Rain' as tribute. I was a bit miffed that I didn't have anything purple to wear in remembrance, but I was fortuitous enough to snag a purple PADI bracelet. Solidarity. I only wish I were back home so I could have gone to the amazing memorial at First Ave. I would have loved to have been there. Alas, I have to settle to reliving the classics via radio channels.

I was successfully able to distract myself from some of all that craziness when I applied to, interviewed for, got offered, and accepted a position in graduate school for college counseling and student development. I figured I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but if I can help others figure it out, that would be pretty cool. Plus, it can allow me to work in study abroad offices and potentially go back to Australia where I can advise during the week and dive and instruct on the weekend. Not a bad plan to me. So it looks like it's back to school in the fall. I think I've even worked it out to study abroad in South Africa, and then visit friends in Europe on the way home, as well as head to Thailand for a bit then hit up my friends in Oz. Seems like a decent enough plan for now. I might even join the First Responder team at home and afterwards look into becoming a public safety diver for the city. I guess time will tell. As for right now, emotions are still running high, but a big sense of relief has also washed over me with the exams out of the way. I'll get about 5 weeks of instructing with training wheels, then it's back on home to the fam for festival season! We're busy as ever and I'm super keen to get back into it. Until next time folks, enjoy the ride!

Anything beautiful is worth getting hurt for - Prince

Cheers,
C

About meriadoc262


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Maldives

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.