Existing Member?

Return To Australia Accounts of my working holiday

It's been a while...

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 24 January 2016 | Views [317]

It's been a long time...

Well, I really did mean to write up on my adventures, but work, and at one point sickness, got the best of me. If you can believe it, I finally left Australia I was having a hard time with it again. It didn't really help that we had a few going away get togethers. Here are the cliff notes over the last couple of months. I ended up passing my divemaster course! Though I was taking it way too seriously and was stressing out to no end over it. I even managed to snag a position working on our boats as a divemaster for a bit after the course. I saw one of my best friends, Chris, leave, which was heartbreaking, but made a new best friend shortly thereafter, Kyle, and was heartbroken again when I had to leave him as well. I was once again surprised by the friends and family I created while in Cairns. It is honestly the best thing about traveling that I've experienced. When I first started off, I didn't think I would actually make good, life-long friends. I assumed I would stay mostly solo, but I apparently have some social skills! Who knew?! Without my people, this experience wouldn't be the same. Now I have friends and coworkers I can message and visit all over the world. The only shitty part is having to leave them after getting so comfortable and adopting them as family. I've tried holding back tears and it hasn't really worked.
On my last official night out, me and a friend Michael, we're having one last big hurrah. It was great getting people together one last time. However, I struggled to keep it together at the end. Kyle left to go home, and after the hugs, we watched him walk away. He had quickly become my new best friend over the passed month and now I was leaving him. I turned to Michael and after seeing the look in his eyes, I lost it. We were both tearing up and I didn't expect it to hit me so much. Some of the others made fun, but I didn't care.
My flight wasn't until the following evening, so I made plans to meet people at the pier after work. They insisted I have one last drink with them and I obliged. Luckily, Kyle was sweet enough to offer me a ride to the airport, so I got to spend a little bit more time with him and the others. I even managed to see the guys working on our second day boat before leaving. Quite a few more hugs and I was feeling the love. It felt especially good now that I was almost over my sickness I'd had for about the passed month. With that, it was time for my departure. Kyle joked that I still had time to miss my flight. If I wouldn't have been leaving to meet up with another friend, I would have greatly considered it. After saying the fifth goodbye to him in so but two days, I was determined not to cry this time... At least not yet. Nope, that would come on my middle flight from Darwin to Singapore. I was doing alright, but started to feel really alone and isolated from everyone. I tried listening to some new music I got from some of my dive family. One song in particular, Nota de Amor, I got from Christian, our Chilean instructor who I completed my open water assist with. It's one of those songs that I have a memory associated with. When I hear it, it takes me back to us dancing on the dive deck. It made me extremely happy and sad at the same time. I put it on replay a couple of times and smiled as I tried to hold back tears. I am in serious need of some hugs and cuddles.
I have no idea where this next chapter will lead. Chris and I plan on doing out instructor course in the Philippines and I guess try and find work afterward. Hopefully I can still hit up Europe taking the long way home and visit my German friends. Then, home for summer and work, then calling up everyone come September and traveling and working with them again.

 

best, 

C

About meriadoc262


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.