Existing Member?

Return To Australia Accounts of my working holiday

Settling in Cairns

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 26 January 2015 | Views [217]

Happy Australia Day everyone! Not too much to do today on this public holiday except check out the events around town. They had some live music out on the Esplanade all afternoon. I snuck by for a few hours to take in some of the festivities and catch up on some reading. It was nice to see them have a decent sized sound system and sound engineer this time, instead of just mixing from stage. I imagine it will get busier later when the headliner, Busby Marou, goes on, but I have left to check out other music events. The Jack bar has music going on till late tonight, so that will be my next stop after recapping the week to you all.

Honestly, not a whole lot happened this week. I did sort of freak out when I realized I've already been here for almost a month. It's gone by quite fast, especially in retrospect of the first week when things went painfully slow and I was torrentially freaking out. Alas, the freak outs have subsided... I hope! I've settled into a nice flow of working and working out. Most mornings, it's up early for a 6:30 or 7 am work out, then I have time to read a bit whilst eating breakfast before I work my two hours at the hostel. Then, around 5:30 it's time for the evening workout session. The way I figure, since I've been having trouble finding paid work, if I can't be working, I might as well be working out.

The weather hasn't changed much. Still hot. Still humid. And I am continually sweating. I did however, have the wonderful opportunity to actually get chilly a few nights ago when out AC was on. I had to burrito up with my blanket and it was wonderful. Since we're in the cyclone season, we get a lot of random thunderstorms or just rain storms popping through. If we're lucky, it helps lower the humidity and temperature a bit, I think we were fortunate to get a humidity under 70% and temperature around the mid 80s one afternoon.

I did manage to score some rather nice produce at the market yesterday. I need to keep going later, right before closing, that's when you can get a whole box of fruit for $2 or so. Granted, I didn't pay too much anyway. 6 potatoes, 7 passion fruit and a bunch of bananas only cost me a little over $4. Another plus, the Australian dollar keeps dropping. Currently it's about 1.26 AUD for every 1 USD. That will come in handy when I need to transfer money into my Australian bank account later. Getting and extra 26% sounds great to me.

I even attempted to "make friends" as everyone keeps telling me to do. This consisted of going to a bar with a bunch of people from the hostel. During the night, I was reminded of a few things:

1) I basically abhor small talk. So, having to repeat myself to every new person that decided to stop over was boring and annoying. The point it did get interesting was when I was basically yelled at by a guy who thought it was insane that I hadn't read a certain author. He basically went on a 5 minute rant about how no one can call themselves a writer if they haven't read so-and-so. Obviously, I was so enthralled that I promptly forgot said author's name. I also discovered that a trip to the bathroom basically severs any kind of conversation you are having with a stranger. Every time, the person had left when I returned. They probably assumed I didn't want to talk anymore, which may have been true. However, the true reason was I just needed to go. Most of you who know me know how small my bladder is, add alcohol into the equation and it only gets worse.

2) I'm so not into drinking and don't really like bars. Maybe it's because I tend to associate bars with work and, after watching all the common-folk drink themselves silly, the places just tend to reek of beer and bad decisions. I've also never found much joy in getting super drunk. I tend to take on the mother hen role and make sure that everyone is okay. I didn't even know these people very well, but I still continued to keep tabs on them to make sure they were okay until I left. Perhaps I'm a control freak, perhaps I'm cheap. Whatever the case may be, drinks with a few close friends after work = good, drinks with random strangers who all seem to have an agenda of either getting drunk or finding someone to sleep with or both = not my cup of tea.

3) I have no idea how to make friends. I honestly don't know how I have the friends I have now. I can chalk most if not all of them up to being in close quarters on a semi regular basis, whether that be through school, college, work, or some other sanctioned activity. Granted, I was never the kid that went up to someone new and said "hi, I'm Celina. Wanna be friends?". I just sat back and sussed everyone out and watched. If someone approached me who I thought seemed okay, I'd roll with it. I guess I've made a few "friends" via all my exercising groups. There is a girl from Germany (lots of Germans here) who has been going to many of the same classes as me and we briefly talk on each account. did manage to score some rather nice produce at the market yesterday.

And thus, it's me with my journals, book and shows. I like it like this. I've basically sort of reverted to treating my time up in Cairns as a sort of summer I haven't had in a long time. One where I don't (really) have to work and have my full days open. Thankfully with my work and workouts I do have some semblance of a schedule, otherwise I'm sure I'd go crazy due to all the possibilities. You know, the whole suffocating freedom.

The drinking escapade was really the only big thing to happen this week. I did have some scrapes and pulled muscles, oh, and a nice volleyball straight to the temple that left a nice sized bruise. Other than that, just my typical reclusive behaviors. Reading, writing, catching up on my shows. I might as well climb into a box and live there! Haha. I apologize if this is a rather boring read for you lot, but the way I have it figured, by playing it safe and quiet now (read: not spending a lot of money), I have the opportunity to splurge on the back half when I travel to basically all the capital cities and even to New Zealand. Then I'm sure it will be a bit more entertaining for you, even with my lack of description.

Anyway... this is where I leave you. Time to grab some quick dinner and head to the Jack to see who's playing. Then it's an early night in to get up in time for boxing. Have a good week all!

-Celina

About meriadoc262


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.