Existing Member?

Running away from Home

Hello Dali!

CHINA | Sunday, 25 April 2010 | Views [438]

I left Kunming to get out of the dorm and ended up in a bunk situation on the overnight train to Dali. I figured I could put up with it for one more night. There were no heavy snorers in my section of the train, but I did have the interesting situation of being on the top bunk. In hard class on Chinese trains there is not just a lower and an upper berth, but an lower, middle and upper berth. Guess who had an upper berth? I had about 2 ½ feet clearance between my mattress and the ceiling. It was an interesting night.

When I arrived in Dali, I brought the rains from Kunming with me. It was good for the dry, cracked earth that desperately needed moisture, but lousy for a tourist who likes to hike. There is an excellent trail that runs along Cangshan, but I could see the dark clouds hugging the side of the mountain, and I knew that it was not the best weather for lacing up the hiking boots. However, it was ideal for bundling up in a comforter and reading a book, watching a movie, or getting caught up on my sleep. Unfortunately, the rains were not the only thing that I brought from Kunming with me. Yet another stomach bug has entered my life and has made a nuisance of itself. So I’m not minding the rain so much. I am comfortable in a lovely guesthouse where I have a private room. So comfortable that I have haven’t seen much of Old Town Dali yet. What I have seen seems to be manufactured with the tourist in mind. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I have been a tourist for close to four months. I have seen versions of the same thing in all the countries that I’ve been to, and I’ve grown a bit weary of it. I could use a short break from being a tourist. Bless the rains.

About melissa_k


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.