Existing Member?

Running away from Home

A rainy day in Kathmandu: Film noir style

NEPAL | Tuesday, 9 February 2010 | Views [482]

                I wake up in the mornings quite warm after having spent the entire night under heavy bed coverings.  Usually the first thing I hear is the crows outside of my window.  I don’t know what amuses them at six in the morning, but their cackling is incessant.  I have checked numerous times for an open window someplace, because I can hear everything that goes on outside with unbelievable clarity.  When one of the hotel employees tries to clear the phlegm from his throat it sounds as though he is standing directly outside my window. 

                This morning I work in the dark with my small computer illuminating my face in a blue-white glow.  I can type by touch, but the smaller keyboard increases my errors.  I curse as I look at my watch.  It is 7:00am, why haven’t they turned on the power?  I get my answer as I fling back my curtains.  It is raining and part of the power is run off of solar cells.  No sun, no power.  At least it was getting lighter outside.

                The rain is light but steady.  I follow Saroj through the soggy alleyways of Thamel towards the InfoNepal office.  This is the outfit that is setting up my volunteer work.  He takes us to a dark corner of a brick building and he makes a brief outline of the volunteer work that is available and where it is available.  We fill out forms as he apologizes for the lack of light.  “We only get 12 hours of electricity each day,” he says.  I admit that this entire experience of limited electricity is a new to me.  “I’ve been so spoiled.”  I say as the other two women nod their heads in agreement.  Saroj just smiles.  Not a wry smile, just a jolly one.  Saroj is a jolly fellow.  I will enjoy working with him.

                I dodge mud puddles as I hasten back to the hotel.  I try not to get too far ahead because Kathryn is still unfamiliar with the area and depends on my knowledge of it to return to home base.  The clouds and rain has shrouded the day in gloom and laid to rest any hope of getting out to see Durbar Square.  I just want to be where it is warm and dry.  I want to read in Kathryn’s guidebook about Pokhara which is near where she and I will be sent to help the local children with their studies.  It is also near the Annapurnas.  The thought of it gives me an excited chill.

 

About melissa_k


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.