Existing Member?

Running away from Home

Time to stop hiding

NEPAL | Monday, 8 February 2010 | Views [522]

                Despite my first impressions of Kathmandu, I was interested in seeing some of the local temples.  This morning I decided to grab my map, put my walking shoes on, rally up my courage and hike to the Swayambhu stupa on the west side of town.  I was happy to find out that once you left the touristy section of Thamel, the atmosphere relaxes quite a bit.  You are still an object of curiosity, but people seem content to ponder from afar.  The traffic seemed to decrease a bit too, but I still had to watch my step.  On the way to the temple, I crossed the Bishnumati River.  Someone later told me that this is the most polluted river in the world and I can believe it because it was covered in trash. 

                When I arrived at Swayambhu, my jaw dropped.  I can see the stupa from my hotel room, so I knew that it was on a more elevated surface than Chhetrapati, but the staircase that led into the sky was awesome.  No wonder people come here to worship.  They found a spot that is so close to the heavens.  The milky haze over Kathmandu valley was disappointing after climbing up to the stupa, but the monkeys offered a bit of entertainment.  In their efforts to gather the rice that has been made in offering they have become fearless of tourists.  I had one right in the sights of my camera.  He had hit on a treasure trove of rice and was not about to be scared off of the sight.  As I moved in, he turned towards me and gave me this, “what the hell are you looking at’ intimidating look and I completely flinched.  He went back to his rice and I backed off, embarrassed that I had been faced by a monkey that was a quarter my size.  It’s all in the attitude.  I did a circuit around the stupa getting all of the drums a-spinning, and headed towards the staircase.  While descending, I ran the gauntlet of hawkers who tried to sell me bracelets and stone carvings.  I could have gotten a pretty decent price on a meditation bowl, but then I would have to carry it around. 

                Back at the hotel, I met a fellow from the UK named Carl.  He said that if I thought Kathmandu was bad, then I was never to go to India, where he had just spent three months.  We chatted for a while and he explained the scam behind the woman asking me to buy milk for her baby.  Apparently, she gets an unwitting  tourist to go a pay a fortune for milk at the market (where there are no prices on anything), then she takes the milk back to the market and the grocer gives her a cut.  That’s pretty lousy, but I was thinking it was something more like I follow her into the market and someone clubs me over the head and takes everything I have. That’s why I didn’t buy her any lousy milk. 

About melissa_k


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.