Existing Member?

Running away from Home

Let's wrap this up!

THAILAND | Saturday, 6 February 2010 | Views [638] | Comments [1]

I understand why they charge extra money for the lower berths. I also understand why they sell out first. The top is tighter quarters than the lower berth and even though they give you two straps to keep from rolling out of them, there is always that bit of trepidation that you are going to fall out. I had a disturbing dream somewhere in the night that I was on this planet where brilliant sunlight beamed down on you all of the time. The only shade I could find was on this cliff where there was a rocky outcropping just large enough to curl up under and get some rest. When I awoke, the connection between my dream and my sleeping situation gave me a chuckle.

We pulled into Hualampong station at around 7:00 am. The morning Bangkok weather was warm and humid and even the short hike from the train station to the subway station and from the subway station to the sky train station was enough to make me sweat profusely. At one point, I got off of the BTS and looked around for a place where I could have breakfast and freshen up. I was in the “ritzier” section of Bangkok and I should have known better than to enter an Au Bon Pain in full gear, sweating like a pig. I took a look around to see if they had a ladies’ room available and I was greeted by a effeminate young man who told me that there was no toilet. He looked as though he had been elected to be a human sacrifice and he was going to meet his maker with the bravest of faces on. I knew that it was futile to insist that I had every intention of ordering food and drink, I just wanted to use the ladies’ first. I quietly exited the bakery.

I had made a reservation at the Unico Express that was on Sukhumvit Soi 3. Their internet listing had exaggerated the proximity of the BTS line, so I was even sweatier when I approached their front desk. Everything in the receptionists demeanor said, “what are you doing here?” I said that I had a reservation for the evening, and I knew that it was still too early to check in, but I wanted to leave my pack with them until the room was available. After I provided proof of my reservation, she showed me to a safe room where I left my pack.

By 8:30am I had found my hotel and left my possessions in a safe place. I had a lot of hours to burn up and I hadn’t gotten to see Avatar before I left the states. I was even further motivated when I discovered that the film had been nominated for several Academy Awards. Unfortunately the IMAX projector at the Siam Paragon was on the blink, but they had it in Digital 3D and that was good enough (not to mention expensive enough) for me. Something interesting I learned about movie theaters in Thailand is that they have assigned seating, and some seats are more expensive than others. Something else I learned is that they charge extra if the film is longer than average. When I saw the sign that announced this I burst out laughing. It was so in keeping with my experiences over the past month. You want ice in your drink? 20 Baht. You want rice with your meal? 20 Baht. You want to see a longer picture? 20 Baht. This final straw had taken all of my little irritations and wrapped them in an endearing package.

Comments

1

Hey Melissa did you ever see "Men Who Stare At Goats"? Do you remember us at khao Yai practicing "sparkle eye"?

  Steve keeling (Sir Richard) Apr 2, 2010 12:05 PM

About melissa_k


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.