Existing Member?

Footprints

Jones Hole and Colorado

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 18 January 2012 | Views [906] | Comments [2]

Rowan and I are just cooling our heels until we can move into our new home tomorrow, so to get out of the hotel room we've been having some more adventures out and about in the local area.  

Rowan has enjoyed talking with Nana on the phone though.

First we did a hike at Jones Hole.  We only hiked part of the trail.. just about two miles down, then back again.  It's about an hour and a half drive from Vernal.. on a paved road, but through nowhere.. I think we saw two cars the entire drive. 

It's a beautiful walk, following the small river through the narrow canyon it's carved out of the stone over the past thousands of years. 

It would be a great hike during the hot summer, it's mainly in shade most of the day.. and there is a cool river to take a dip in if you get too hot.

The red rock contrasted nicely with the bright blue sky.

This is the lovely little river that cut the canyon over the past thousands of years.

Rowan enjoyed hiking up and down the trail.

And feeling the snow melting on his fingers. 

The exciting thing for the day was spotting these cougar tracks in the snow.  Dogs aren't allowed on this trail, and these tracks were about a mile and a half from the parking lot.. so unless someone carried their Labrador that far, it's about the only thing I can think that would have made them.  They look very similar to the pictures I looked up online too. 

Today we drove to Colorado go visit the eastern side of Dinosaur National Monument.

We had a 32 mile drive down the park road to get to the hike trail I had picked out.. but right near mile 30 the road became impassable on account of a snow drift.  As it was a windy 12F, it was probably too cold to take little megapants out for long. 

Rowan did enjoy a run around at one of the scenic view points.

It was a enjoyable drive.  You would be going along and every thing looked fairly flat, then suddenly a canyon would open up right next to you.. making you realize you were actually on top of a mountain (or is that a mesa?).

A close up from the picture above.

The road at the bottom of this canyon looked very inviting.. but the way down was far too icy for me to even consider this time of year.  Maybe in the spring?

It was an enjoyable day out.. even if we never really left the car!

Comments

1

Mel,
Love the pic of your sweet Rowan! Too cute! And thanks for sharing your gorgeous pics of your area! Glad you're able to get out and explore! Love you so much,
Rel

  Rel Jan 18, 2012 11:54 AM

2

Good morning Mel,
The views from your pics make me think you are in some wonderful running territory. Any marked trails that you noticed on your first visit?
Love,
Uncle John

  Uncle John Jan 18, 2012 9:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.