Existing Member?

20WOC

A powerful sunrise experience

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 19 November 2011 | Views [416]

We arrived at Kinabalu Pines in the afternoon surrounded by clouds.  But I suspected the verandahs of the chalets were positioned for a reason.

How true was that?

As I woke at 5am to the muezzin calling, and out by 5.30am, in the dark was the faintest outline in the sky.

Down to the 24hour cafe I'd had teh tarik at last night, I woke the boy and sat in wonder and amazement for the next full hour, watching the sun rise and realising just what it was illuminating.

Mt Kinabalu is 15000m, or thereabout.  Certainly higher than Aoraki.  And there it was. Clear as, some wafting mist, way up above me. As I sat in the dawn awakening, thought of same on January 1 at Lake McKenzie on the Routeburn, the sun warming the tips and me with no camera.

This time, the new camera worked overtime.  I was reminded also of watching the sunrise on the mountaintops in Interlaken in Switzerland and in Innsbruck, Austria, some years ago now.... 1989.

By breakfast, I said if this camera sees nothing else today, it has done me proud.  By the time the others were sharing the verandah vista I had some very clear images.  This mountain is amazing.

Breakfast offered a buffet of nasi lemak, which by now I recognised, having first met it at Wok on Inn. Its kinda like having a cooked fry up breakfast with all the ingredients laid out, so I recognised all the options within nasi lemak and could make my choices.  However to the others it was all a bit much early in the day and they were able to have toast and jam.  Fair enough as I'd already softened the tummy lining with two cups of teh.

By 8.30am we were off in the minivan.

xxM

 

About melaniebrigden


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.