Existing Member?

Safari Sisters “I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.” — Diane Ackerman

Anchorage to Kodiak

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Sunday, 24 December 2017 | Views [294]

Dark morning with the sun coming up at around 0800. Shops don't open until 10 or 11 am some stay open til 11pm. We pack up and leave our accomodation and head to the airport on our free shuttle totally TAT. As we check in we are greeted to the sound of a big brass band and an array of Alaskans, veterans, a biker guard, families and little old us !! It's a welcome home for the "Honour Flight " about 30 vets  WW2 , Korea and Vietnam , who have been honoured and flown VIP to visit Washington DC memorials....pretty impressive with USA flags handed out, veterans piped in by the local Celtic band ...very patriotic.

 

Aboard our flight plenty of hunters and fisherman ....loads of inupiat people too.

Great bunch of Americans who give us a few clues and a few laughs. 

 

Amazing view of Alaskan ranges and the WHITEOUT. until we land on Kodiak Island what an amazingly beautiful island ...Q our  driver is really friendly (gamon is thank you) he's a Vietnamese refugee with an interesting story. 

 

Have a wander around - it's such an interesting town , tiny but full of character and characters !!!  Cannery's, smokeries and bars along the water front all requiring our attention.

 

Everyone is soooo friendly. Meki buys a trappers hat HAHA which later proves to be a lifesaver at minus 26C. 

 

Tried a Sara Palin pae ale & cider @ Henry's bar and a good feed of smoked salmon and halibut ...trek back. Lined up a fishing trip with our driver Q for Monday.

 

 

About mekikepilala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.