Existing Member?

Pomtie Tales Follow the adventures of a Pommie and a Soutie, travelling the world.

Namhae Island

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 22 July 2014 | Views [625]

The next trip we took was by far one of the best we did in Korea. To the beautiful Namhae Island. It was the middle of May when we went and beginning to get unbearably hot. However, we were by a beach so it wasn’t so bad!


With these organized tours you are always busy as they try to cram in as much as possible and this was no exception. An overnight bus ride (with a brief jjimjilbang stop) before an early arrival at our destination. A quick chance for a "SSS" at the room and off we go. Our first trip was to a small island (just off the coast of the small island we were already on) to see how pretty it was! As sarcastic as I sound, it was stunning. Lush, green with a very rugged coastline and some beautiful trails I was suitably impressed. We spent a couple of hours wondering round, seeing what was what. There was a lookout point and a nice lighthouse to admire…fairly standard stuff but as an early glimpse of what Korea had to offer it was incredible.
Sadly, the heat was just too much so we eventually retired to a small café to wait out the remaining hour with an ice cold beer, until the return ferry.

Although the day was long and tiring, it was not going to stop us from enjoying our evening. The beach was lovely. A small, quiet cove with a few shops dotted around selling exactly what you need for a night on the beach. Beer and fireworks.
The first night on the beach was fairly quiet. Everyone was exhausted from the day so the two of us simply sat looking out at the ghost ship on the horizon. I have no other way to describe what it was. It looked like a fairly large cargo ship of some sort but with the moon positioned behind it light shone through and around the ship in a very ethereal way. I remember being absolutely amazed at the time, adamant it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.
With hindsight that may have just been the beer…

The following day involved more tours and activities starting with a trip to the Namhae Island Garlic Research Institute. Here we were given a garlic goody bag filled with garlic pens, garlic leaflets and garlic water. Not the nicest drink I’ve ever had!
We were then treated to a 30 minute, translated lecture on all the properties garlic has to offer including, but not limited to, increased brain power and increased size, virility and stamina in men. It was a hell of a sales pitch and I’m certain sales in garlic water soared in the following few days.
We then went garlic picking which was actually a lot of fun and we were able to keep all the garlic we collected.
Following this there was a German beer festival, which was a great way to spend a few hours. Unless of course you are Megan, and have the complexion of a ginger undead. Mix this with a large, strong beer and instant heat stroke ensues. Sadly this meant she had to go back to the pension where she could continue to steal souls from the comfort of an air conditioned room.
The rest of us went sea kayaking which was amazing. Beautiful blue waters, a stunning coast line and plenty of chances to get wet and cool off. All in all, a very good day.

That evening we had another, albeit livelier, night on the beach. It seemed the entire tour group had overcome their sleepiness of the night before as the beach was packed with various groups of people, all lighting fireworks and having a good time. We did just the same. Aside from Jeremy's Roman Candle falling over and shooting people left right and centre it was an uneventful but enjoyable evening. Before long it was just Megan, myself and a friend of ours. We retreated to our penthouse rooftop and continued the revelries discussing Firefly, Dr Who and Harry Potter, essentially boring Megan into sobriety.

This was our first trip “together” and was certainly eye opening! But on a more serious note it’s a beautiful island and we had an amazing time there. Definitely one of my favourite trips in Korea. 

Tags: beach, fireworks, garlic, namhae

 

About megandrob


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.