Existing Member?

THE ADVENTURES OF MICHELLE AND MICHELLE! Two explorers, Michelle and Michelle, set out one day to discover the southern part of the western hemisphere...this is thier story!

aventuras de las michelles en nicaragua...continued

NICARAGUA | Saturday, 21 June 2008 | Views [384]

HOLA! While the others take a nap during a GIGANTIC storm, I have ventured over to the computer for more details.

We have been meeting with so many organizations that I will have to summarize and highlight. All of the different groups have been really happy to host us in all kinds of weather. We went to a school for rural girls, where they specialized in classes about empowerment and sexual health. One of the girls, probably about 17 or 18, was pregnant but sat through the whole presentation, which involved a couple Nicaraguan dances and songs. Las Lomas, the school, was almost 2 hours from the nearest town and all along the rocky road we drove were school children walking to or from school. Many of the kids in the country wake up extra early so they can walk almost an hour to get to school. Others bike. The Las Lomas girls specifically asked our group to finance thier further education and for access to computers etc. Since most of us have no idea how the WCCN organization (that is guiding our trip) works its womens empowerment and sustainable development initiative funds, Carlos, the executive director responded. He said that the money they give is steered through an umbrella organization that allocates the funds amongst all community members. Cody, a fellow WCCN participant, is thinking of ways to set up some kind of fundraiser for the girls.

Today was my FAVORITE meeting. We met with FEMUPROCAM, an organization that was recently highlighted by a well known Washington D.C. organization called Women Thrive. The President, a charismatic elderly woman, told us of her, and her companeras, struggles to make a life in the rural countryside of Nicaragua. She had the heart of an activist ever since one day when she and her grandma got on a bus to go to the fields for work, bag full of produce on back. A man next to her plugged his nose as he smelled her the sweat she carried from the previous day. She cried that day, but vowed to protect the rights of campesinos everywhere, that struggled to survive. The other women ESPECIALLY highlighted thier plights what with the growing food crisis and the backwards moving Nicaraguan Government. The FEMUPROCAM cooperative houses 100 some women farmers who sell thier produce on the side of a PANAMERICAN highway! They are putting together an ecological farm and run entirely on solar and wind powered energy. All crops are organic. I bought organic wine to share with the group this evening, but it BROKE while we tried to move our luggage into our rooms!

As I write a woman yells ´Tamales´ on the street! I want one, but I would probably get sick....O well! Ive been sticking to the vegetarian diet here and its been relatively easy since most places only offer rice and beans anyway...the meats are not entirely safe for los gringos. Anyway, I am very pleased with the contacts Ive made thus far and I hope to be in contact with the people through the summer and before making arrangements to come back here...hopefully!

Tonight we are going to the concert of CArlos Mejia Godoy, a famous singer from the SAndinista REvolution. He used to sing at functions to support current president DAniel Ortega, but since his administration has gone wacky Godoy has outed Ortega and, in turn, Ortega refuses to have Godoy sing at any government functions. The music is ´campesino´music according to our driver, Juan Pablo. Guitar, accordian and vocals. Godoy is one the most famous singers in Nicaragua, so it should be a good night!

Love and happiness to you all!

Michelle

About meeshmaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.