Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

Unexpected splendour

MYANMAR | Thursday, 5 July 2012 | Views [362]

Over a bridge and up to a gently terraced waterfall, and my camera now with discharged battery, I was fealing poorly and happy just to watch people bathe and kinda observe various shrines and life size images seeming to tell stories.  Little did I expect the wonders within.

I didn't learn the name but this is a cave system chocker with the most incredible buddhas, icons and images, from 11th centure onwards, all lit up.  The cave entrance has stalag-the ceiling ones and I thought that was the big.   We went well into the hillside, rushing water, dragons and serpents several metres long (concrete?) and scores of buddhas. It was like the mines of Moria in the real.  I guess much of it is new but could be equally very old.

Our newly weds were very spiritually aware, as we have come to be comfortable with, but suddenly Amanda was set off - she recognised Chinese legends in some of these statues and images.  So the cave was a real wow! moment for her and she delighted in explaining some legends to us.

Everyone reacted with incredulous wonder, each with different cultural backgrounds giving a different slant to their awareness of the significance of the legends, mythology and religious connotations.  Myself least of all of course.

More practically, I was not only sick, tired, and dehydrated but aware of the decreasing oxygen level as we went deeper.  I queried if this was the correct sensation and Ko Shei confirmed it.  I had three distinct experiences reminiscent of Mandy and the trees on the long day of the Queen Charlotte walk - not it wasn't a religious conversion it was time to get out.  I even saw an exit sign in English.   Christy was also feeling light headed and she walked out with me to the fresh air.

So sadly I wasn't able to appreciate the cave to the full extent of my (admittedly limited) cultural awareness, but the others certainly did.  They are a truly awesome group.  The boys always were, but in adulthood so more so, and their wives and friends are the same.

Then, like the Bricklayers lament, it was up the jolly hill again.

But yet not home.

We detoured to some waterfall.

Now I totally refused to leave the bus.

The driver kindly went off to the villagers and returned with a cup of local tea with lemon and sugar.  The second half was still full of the leaves and very bitter, but I made the mistake of obeying when he insisted I drink it.   He was well-meaning but the group were very kind when I spewed in the bus rubbish tin.  We couldn't stop.  We did however stop at the nearby hospital.

This proved to be the bext move as I have instantly recovered today.  The doctor was a gracious lady of many summers, we could hardly understand each other's accent but Ko Shei and Amanda were with me and soon also a couple of others.  She said I didn't have food poisoning ( I thought not) but have picked up a local bacteria and so I'm on clorfluxicim antibiotic plus a couple of other tabs for a period of days and she scripted more rehydration sachets.  The consultation and the meds cost about $15.  We made Dr Lai Mun spell the name of the antibiotic after her success with spelling this morning.

I retired to my room immediately with pills, water and milkbiscuits.

 

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.