Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

Bagan to Pyin Oo Lwin

MYANMAR | Thursday, 5 July 2012 | Views [1102]

Yesterday was a long full day.

It started with several bathroom trips in the night and keeping up with rehydration at the same time.

Then my wakeup call was one hour early, 4.45am, which I didn't realise till I was up, showered, and on my way out.  So I enjoyed an unexpected bonus hour back in bed, fully packed.

Most of us managed to get to breakfast, and we all left at 6.20am for Bagan (Nyaung U) airport, but it was pretty rough on the overnight members of the falling like flies club.

The 30 minute flight to Mandalay was a real treat for me.  We flew up the Ayeyerwadi river, past my little village of the previous day and many others like it, wee oases of green amidst the parched, ploughed paddocks awaiting rain very soon.  I could start to picture the logistical challenge and the immense courage of the men who crossed this huge river with its sandbanks, and the other soldiers awaiting them this side.  Then to be flying over the terrain which was hard fought over witht he battle for Meiktila to come, 90km ahead.


We saw the confluence of the Ayeyewadi and the Chindwin rivers then turned right to Mandalay, flying at 25,000 feet so it was a great view.

At this stage I felt fine, but a couple of others were doing it hard. Our group has acheived so much, together and separately across the years (and much more to come) and here we are caring for each other at the most basic levels as we create a huge adventure together.

At Mandalay airport our new bus, drive and spare driver were awaiting us.  It was stinking hot again, terribly dry and windy.

We set off taking turns on the microphone to share stories and commentaries.  I asked all those who had diarrhoea to spell it, which Lai Mun won but I had to disqualify her as she is a doctor.  So I share the preschool mnemonic.  I also shared some of my story of the previous day.

It took us 3 1/2 hours to travel the 60km to Pyin Oo Lwin.  We were firstly on the flat plains then up and up and up and up into the hills.  The road to Akaroa has nothing on this.   More like the Arthus Pass-Otira road in the old days - well not so bad.  It was interesting seeing enclosures of dozens of ducks, bamboo  bundles for sale, also hundreds of watermelons and jackfruit, big lorries, and so many people.

At a pit stop I asked for tea takeaway - hey Mandy it was teh tarik! poured the same! With seven spoonsful of condensed milk for two portions.  He started to pour it into a used water bottle.  Ko Shei was very kind, he bought a bottle of water, tipped it out the window, and gave the man the empty bottle so I could have tea without germs.  Admittedly I was starting to fade at this point and we hadn't even reached the incline.

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.