Existing Member?

Myanmarwedding

one hour squatting and 200 monks

MYANMAR | Saturday, 30 June 2012 | Views [395]

Hi, I have arrived in Myanmar 30 hours, and its fantastic its just incredible. I have about ten mnutes here at the hotel till we are picked up again.  Nana do't give up, you can beat MIssy at scrabble.

Just quickly I had an icnredible mroning of first ipressions yesterday, sensory overload, it was full on.  The group did a big journey and I was alseep by 5pm. This morning woke at 6am, and we dressed up and had the Buddhist ceremony at a monastry with the elderly Monk essentially givig us a sermon.  THis was 65 minutes in silence about 50 of us squatting on the floor. 

Shein and Pipi look amazing, today dressed up I didn't recognise her.  Then the 'lunch' and more guests arrived. The families donated lunch to 200 monks and they all filed in, from very old to lots of boys 7 years old but many aged 18-20.  There are no female toilets in monasteries.   well we managed. 

This afternoon we go to the Schwedagon pagod which we passed yesterday.  It is fantastic to meet up with al these Unihall people and their wives and friends, we have come from China, Malaysia, Siingapore, Australia and  NZ.  Its a "welcome to my world" from Shein as we have different levels of knowledge of Burmese languge, Myanmar or Asin custms, food, working out who knows whom.  Sorry typs, this is on a Burmese keyboard,  - example who knows what this food is? who knows what to say, how to you crack a boiled egg?  EVeryne is coming in I'd better go.

best, Meanie

 

About meanieb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.