Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Bad Medicine

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 14 January 2009 | Views [814] | Comments [3]

So my hostel lost some of my clothes. Two shirts and some socks. Then when I told them I wanted to look for them my self they said I had probably not put them in the laundry bag and laughed at me. I felt so angry and it wasn't even about the clothes. It was about being laughed at. They asked me why in hell would they steal my clothes and laughed some more. I said I didn't think they stole them, I was upset because they wouldn't even take responsibility or apoligise. They weren't even NICE to me about it and were talking to each other in Khmer and rolling their eyes.

I checked out this morning after an argument about not paying for the washing of the half of my clothes they didn't lose. Again, it's not the money it's the principal. But all principals go out the window in a country like Cambodia. I just refused to pay for the laundry, said thank you and walked out. There is nothing I can do but grin and bare it. I felt humiliated and sad that people could act so badly towards me when I had done nothing wrong but ask for my property back.

Seam Riep is a lovely city, but together with the losing of some of the few clothes I have and being harassed on the street by hawkers, tuk tuk and moto drivers, restaurant owners and just about everyone else on the streets...I am left feeling quite tired and overwhelmed.

I checked into another guesthouse this morning that is on the aptly named 'Bar Street'. The street is buzzing with life both day and night and has quite pleasant a atmosphere with its mixture of bars, restaurants, street stalls and guesthouses. There is a huge Irish pub downstairs from my guesthouse and tonight I indulged with a large glass of Guinness and a delicious Shepard's pies. The pub was playing Crowded House and Jimi Hendrix so I was in absolute heaven. It was nice to relax. :)

Tomorrow I leave (at 6am!) for Battembang and I'm quite excited about the mode of transport which will carry me there. I have booked a six hour boat ride down the Seam Riep river all the way to Battembang. I love boats and I've been told this is the most scenic rive tour in Cambodia. I can't wait.

Comments

1

Oh Maz, I so hope you have a great time on the boat trip, like we did :) I know not everyone has the same experience, and it's on my head a bit if you do it and don't enjoy it...but fingers crossed you'll have an amazing experience like we did. Can't wait to read your story :)

  Leanne Jan 15, 2009 3:30 AM

2

Sorry to hear about your experience regarding the hotel losing your clothing. Remember there are cultural differences and you may, I say may as I wasn't there, have misinterpreted the situation. As regards payback, you could tell them that you are an International tourist adviser (or whatever) and will inform all foreigners in the world that their service sucks big time. Play the game!

  Baba Jan 17, 2009 1:06 AM

3

Leanne, the boat trip was AMAZING! Thanks so much for your recommendation, without which I might never have met the guys I'm traveling with at the moment!! :)

And no Dad, I don't think I will tell the tourist board. There's no point really is there? It would just be more trouble that it's worth.

  mazystar Jan 18, 2009 10:41 PM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.