Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

From Laos to Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 12 January 2009 | Views [720]

My last few days in Luang Prabang and indeed in Laos were restful and relaxing. All I did was stroll around the quiet town and drink banana shakes by the Mekong. Lyb and Graeme left to go further up north in Laos and then across to Thailand so I made the decision to fly to Cambodia, starting in Seam Riep and making my way south through Battembang, Phenom Pen and on to Sihanoukville.

On my last night in Luang Prabang I stayed in a slightly more expensive guest house so I could indulge and rejuvenate my self with a hot shower. It was worth the extra money. In the morning I had the included guesthouse breakfast and it was delicious. Scrambled eggs, hot bread with butter, fresh fruit and coffee with real milk.

The flight from Luang Prabang to Seam Riep only takes about an hour and twenty minuets and it was a pleasant enough flight. We got lunch (or at least it LOOKED like lunch. It didn't TASTE too much like lunch) and I spent most of the flight with my nose in my book.

Seam Riep is brown, dusty and hot. The streets are littered with tuk tuks, motorbikes and four-wheeled-drives covered in mud. I feel like I should be wearing a big sign around my neck that says "NO I do not want a bloody tuk tuk." Everywhere I go I have tuk tuk drivers saying "LADY! You want tuk tuk!" Even if I say no to one the very next driver will ask the same question.

It's very frustrating but all you can do is ignore them. Don't even look in their direction. I've even had a few drivers saying suggestive things to me. Yesterday a motorbike driver asked me if I wanted a "moto or a kiss" and today a tuk tuk driver asked me if I wanted to be his "special friend". It's annoying but as long as it isn't dangerous, which it is if you ignore them, I'm happy enough.

Parts of Seam Riep can be dangerous after dark, but the main parts of town buzz until the early hours and are fairly safe. My guesthouse, Smiley's, is on the outskirts of the main area and down a tiny alley so I don't intend on going out after dark. If I don't feel safe I wouldn't enjoy my self anyway. I believe it's best to take precautions when necessary.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the temples of Angkor tomorrow and getting out to see more of the city.

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.