Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Walking for ten hours = sore feet!

CHINA | Wednesday, 10 December 2008 | Views [693] | Comments [3]

Sorry about the rather abrupt ending to my last entry. I've had a few problems finding internet cafes, and the only one I can find seems to be run by a bunch of rude idiots.

Anyway, I should get on and tell you about the last few days here. Well on Monday the highlight was going up to the 88th floor of the Jin Mao Tower. It was dark when I got up there but the view was still magnificent. I even got a free pearl necklace (although I was told you got a free cocktail at the top...I guess a necklace is just as good). I also found the Cloud 9 Bar and bought my self two rounds of cosmopolitans as I gazed out over the city lights. It was quite lovely; but as I sat there in an empty bar in such a crowded city...I couldn't help but miss my friends and family and Sydney.

The next day I woke up very early and set off for a (LONG) walk. I had decided to visit the Shanghai Museum and the old French Concession area of the city.

I met quite a lot of young Chinese tourists throughout the day and I also met an English teacher from Africa who stopped me for a chat. There seems to be so many people keen to stop and speak to me, it's really quite surreal. I always try my best to be friendly, but after my experience with the art students the other day I made sure to ask them (in a polite way) what they were doing in Shanghai. I thought it best to make sure none of the people I met were trying to sell me something. To my delight, it turned out none of them were, and just stopped me to talk, which I was more than happy to do.

After a long time walking around the People's Square and the beautiful People's Park, I finally got to the Shanghai Museum. The building its self is amazing and it's contents are fascinating. They have many exhibitions of ancient Chinese artifacts - some that date back as far as 25BC - it was very interesting.

CANT FINISH THIS STORY BECAUSE OF STUPID NET CAFE 1HR LIMIT. WILL FINISH LATER!! <3

Here I am at The People's Square. This photo was taken by one of a few Chinese tourists I met while walking around Shanghai.

Here I am at The People's Square. This photo was taken by one of a few Chinese tourists I met while walking around Shanghai.

Comments

1

Glad to know you are safe and well. You could try going to the Bund at night when many Shanghailanders like to stroll along the promenade in the early evening. You could also try a river cruise which was an awesome experience when June and I were there last year.

  Baba Dec 10, 2008 9:02 PM

2

I miss you tooo! I am sorry for not writing that email to you yet. Have been working and busy when I'm not working, but hopefully I can find a spare moment tomorrow or the next day to write it ALLLLLLL out to you.

Love you more than you know! XOXOXOXOX

Hope you're having a wonderful time. :)

  Sarah Dec 11, 2008 9:16 AM

3

Oh Sarah...!! If only you were there to enjoy those cosmopolitans with me. Hehe. I can just picture you and I talking like Kath and Kim and we slurp posh drinks in a posh pub. Different, noice, unussssal.

  mazystar Dec 15, 2008 8:43 AM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.