Existing Member?

dawesberry adventures my view of the big family adventure.

Dingle Days

IRELAND | Sunday, 13 August 2006 | Views [640]

great session late night at Seamus'

great session late night at Seamus'

So, if you haven’t noticed, the trip is being written in hindsight, as all journals are. I’m already home, but thought I’d write about some things, in case anyone wants to know, not having a chance to get it from the horse’s mouth. We texted Seamus first, and he was there texting from the west coast, to keep on coming, there’s room for us, etc. That was lovely to know. He put us in touch with Jim, who was in Cork, but we crossed paths and missed him. Still, he reckoned he would be in dingle during the next week too, so we’d see him there. Knowing that we had a place to set up in Dingle was great, but we took the long way; hugging the peninsula south of the Dingle peninsula, County Kerry. It was beautiful, yes. Very green, I could have taken it or left it, more wanting to have music experiences than sight seeing, but we were also just enjoying the luxury of being with each other, so I went along with the long trip. Of course, I can’t stress the delight of the campervan living (for 2). Given the size of most of the scenic roads in England and Ireland, I was glad that we weren’t in a larger vehicle, though at times, I bigger bed would be welcome. But the whole campervan thing of (especially in you-won’t-be-bothered Ireland) pulling up to the spot that suits you NOT JUST bonafide tourist parks, afforded us privacy and astounding dinner, waking, anytime views. Steve and I shared a novel, too, him reading to me while I cooked or cleaned. There isn’t really that much room for two people to work in the space, but to be entertained whilst working, that’s the life! I won’t tell the name of the novel because Steve is embarrassed that he read and enjoyed it, but there is a mention of it in France pages, this would be his 2nd read of it. We didn’t have too many potatoes in Ireland, either, we ate well. So, we made it to Seamus’ one evening, maybe our third night in Ireland. He marvelled at how strange it was: seeing us in Ireland. We (re)met Maire, his wife and eventually the kids, Maeve (16), Eoin (24?), and Neil (22ish). They are an irish speaking family, only speaking english for their english speaking guests. I loved staying there and hearing the old language in full use. Also staying there was Tim Edey (box and guitar player) and his girlfriend. We just parked our van outside and used the shower, toilet inside. But actually, the old house was completely open to us, so we didn’t even have to bother them for the toilet, not that we ever felt a bother. Very gracious hosts. And fun, too. The lads, like their dad are playing box and concertina, so at about midnight (after gigs were done – dingle is hopping with music in every pub during tourist season) nearly every night, there was an additional home session. Johanes, a danish lad and neighbor, was there lots with his banjo, and even I played a few tunes on the whistle, though I really couldn’t keep up/didn’t know well any that they were playin, still it was good craic, excellent humor. We’ve got some of it recorded, both for the music and the irish language in the background. Here, too, we witnessed Seamus the working-the-land man, not just the visitor-to-Australia musician. And folks, I’m telling you, the man does work. He’s out there baling the hay and treating fly-blown sheep (yuk – do ya know what that is?), etc. Cool Caravan report: ok, the one at mark and tara’s was cool, but this one was coool in a style that I’d never imagined…. Like disco 60’s gypsy or something. I’ve tried to photograph it but it was locked, so the photo is a bit extra reflective, reflective being a key word. I know this is all so boring, but maybe someone wants to know all this. Hmm what else? Ask me something!

Tags: Culture

About maurajeanie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.