Existing Member?

dawesberry adventures my view of the big family adventure.

french country family experience

FRANCE | Tuesday, 8 August 2006 | Views [766]

The matriarch, Marie Reine, a gracious and animated hostess, with Ling, our first of the luxurious french meals

The matriarch, Marie Reine, a gracious and animated hostess, with Ling, our first of the luxurious french meals

When we arrived, it was only Ling’s immediate family, and her parents, Marie Reine and Gilles. Oh, and two young nephews, Danilo and Marco. I’d pictured what this place would be like, in my head for years, because the Fairfax family had spent so many long summers there, reportedly with many other siblings and hordes of neices & nephews. Apparently we’d made it before the onslaught. The next day, Danilo’s mother, Margo, younger sister, and older brother would arrive. Our instructions to the house were to turn onto a specific driveway (well out in the country), pass the house with a trout sign and some barking dogs. True to the directions, we saw the trout, and directly to its right was a barking dog… well done, Ling! Still uncertain that we were in the right place, we curled up the drive and hoped that it was right place because if it wasn’t, we’d be embarrassed to try to explain ourselves at the front door in english or pathetic french. Anyway, if the gorgeous skirts hanging out the upper window werent a sure sign of Ling, soon Corwin and Rayna popped their heads out of another window, and soon were down to greet us. They’re both gorgeous young adults, always a treasure to be with. Ling and Mark, also came out, and Marie Reine was delighted to struggle through English and invite us to have lunch with them. Thus began our days of meals! Its just one meal after another and luxuriant time spent on each course. It was fantastic. I loved seeing my old friends alive in their other life, fluent French speakers. Seeing Marie Reine in her home, meeting Gilles again. It was all very funny, especially if you spoke French. Thankfully, Mark took me under his wing and not only translated, but having figured out the family nuances himself over the years, let me in on layers of what was going on in the family. It was a challenge for us aussies. The communication barrier was apparent. I saw Marley loose faith on the first day, maybe giving up on having a good time, but by the second day, he found a new resilience for it and seemed to enjoy himself. Megan ended up spending a lot of time with the young girl, as Rayna wasn’t feeling 100%, though they did spend some time together. R&C took us on a walk to see the village. The most memorable thing being when the church lady’s dog attacked our wonderful dog, biting Rayna in the process. Not much to that village. Ling know’s me well, and knew that I’d want to get busy and do something, besides, everyone has a job there cuz of the importance of mealtime, there is always something to do. So, Ling and I worked on curtains! Yes, our favorite job together! We laughed at ourselves muchly remembering other infamous curtain adventures together. We boldly claim our company now is international, and what you get is what you get, no guarantees on anything! We love our curtains, though and we love spending time together that way. I woke up the second day and went into the house (I’d been suffering since before we left somerset with a cough which made for disgusting routines of phlegm expectorating in the mornings, best done in the bathroom, which unfortunately my camper situation doesn’t accommodate). Anyway after emmerging from the toilet, I sat down with the other early birds, Marie Reine, Gilles, Mark & Ling. Mark was my translator, and they all tried to include me, though you couldn’t expect them to accommodate the conversation to me. At one point, Mark offered to Gilles that I was from Louisiana. Gilles spoke no English whatsoever, but from his higly animated hot and bothered reaction and hearing the name Napoleon, I had a good guess he wasn’t too impressed with the decision to let that land go for such a ridiculous low price. They don’t think much of Napoleon. Marie Reine was a treat. I don’t know if she is always so animated, but she was for us. I think that she wanted to communicate but found it easier to pantomime than speak. Megan and Marley watched her dance an expression of joy when the living room was finally finished being painted. Mealtimes were long and never ending fun. I only wish I spoke French because Corwin is obviously very funny and I was missing it all! Gilles heard that I was so excited to be in the land of fine cheeses, so he made sure that the cheese platter was very well stocked. I like the cheese platter idea. Woe is me for the state of cheeses in Australia. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that we all enjoyed this little bit of France very much.

Tags: Culture

About maurajeanie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.