Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Paracas

PERU | Tuesday, 9 October 2018 | Views [516]

I met the pre-tour group this morning and was happy to find I wasn't the oldest among us. Old Len is a spritely 91 years old! I kid you not! While it's too early to find out his secret to maintaining an active enough lifestyle to tour Peru, I will report on anything I do find over the next few days. Apart from Len, there's an Englishman, a German, a Canadian and three Americans. I can see the making of several jokes beginning to take form.

But meeting the one and only Brien Foerster has been the highlight of the day so far for me.  The 3.5 hour drive to Paracas was a surreal experience of reliving the multitude of YouTube videos I've watched that he has produced, the very videos which persuaded me to embark on this journey. This part of the country is a fascinating (if you're a geologist) perspective of how the Pacific tectonic plate meets the Nazca plate and shoves it aside. It's also so dry, receiving *uck all rain that virtually nothing grows here, except where the ground water has been tapped to nurture the crops.

The star of the day, or should I say Star Child skull of the day, was visiting the elongated skulls in Paracas. If you've never heard of them, then look them up in your own time. Oh and the hotel we're staying at isn't too shabby either :)

Ok, for now the Englishman, the German and the Australian are going out to drink pisco.

More to follow!

 

Tags: skulls

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.