Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Leaving Irkutsk

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Tuesday, 25 December 2007 | Views [467] | Comments [6]

This will be just a short post to let you know I'm leaving Irkutsk today. I spent a couple of hours yesterday uploading most of my pics to the journal, so check 'em out and some of my stories will make more sense after you see them.

I've been walking around town a fair bit, and I like this place. Its relatively clean, no smog, people have more patience, and the traffic is quite 'normal' (which means less horn honking!). I went to visit the Church of the Exaltation of the Cross which lies in an area full of Decemberist houses - you can look that up yourselves, as I haven't got any history notes on me :P

Christmas eve was in full swing yesterday and today things are more subdued, so maybe they've done their partying for now. I tried a couple of different restaurants, a couple were reasonable, one was a rip off! But you get that being a tourist here at this time of year.

So this afternoon I board the train to Moscow which will take about 3 days.  I hope you've all had a safe and happy Christmas and I'll update the journal whenever I can!

Dasvedaniya :)

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Merry Christmas Matty...u gonna get drunk on the train?..again...lol :p

  Chris Dec 25, 2007 2:18 PM

2

Had to get the atlas out to follow you, loved the photos, just awesome!!!! keep safe.

  Anna Dec 25, 2007 5:33 PM

3

Matt, Dad wanted to warn you about the money. Remember, Western Europe is very expensive. Yesterday we got the latest: MOSCOW IS 3 X AS EXPENSIVE AS NEW YORK... AND 2 X AS LONDON!!! It's hard to believe. St. Petersburg will be in the same league.

Love
Danka and dad

  Danka Dec 25, 2007 8:32 PM

4

omg...it's 43 degrees here on boxing day...please bring me some ice matt..:)

  Chris Dec 26, 2007 2:51 PM

5

lol...I was wrong...it's 44 degrees..today was the hottest December day on record.....lol...actually..I think it's the hottest day I've ever experienced...I'm meltingggggg aaaarrrgggghhhhh...:)

  Chris Dec 26, 2007 10:36 PM

6

Hey Matt! this site is great. Your pictures are brilliant! i'm really jealous of all the great stuff you are doing. It sounds like you are having a great time and it always helps when you meet some other crazy travellers to get on the booze with! ha ha. well I'm sure you'll be hitting Moscow soon and then St. Petersburg - enjoy! xxx. Pip.
Ps- Can you believe you still have about 10 countries to go!!!

  Pippa Dec 28, 2007 2:16 PM

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.