Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Ulaanbaatur Arrival

MONGOLIA | Thursday, 20 December 2007 | Views [666] | Comments [5]

The morning started at a slow pace compared to the day before (I actually felt pretty good amazingly), and the train kept snaking its way towards Ulaanbaatur. We'd reached the Gobi desert and the terrain was barren and flat, endless plains of nothingness broken up by small groups of grazing goats or horses, and the occasional small village. There was increasingly more snow and ice in all the low lying areas, and the first ger tents started to appear. Somehow overnight they had changed the dining cart which was furbished in elaborate wood carvings and decorated in Mongolian artefacts like leather and bronze shields, and archery gear. Its a pity the plastic Santa Clauses and tinsel pasted everywhere detracted from this cultural transformation of our dining area.

We were scheduled to arrive at the Mongolian capital around 1.30pm so the morning was spent lazing about, chit-chatting and packing up the bags. The snow was getting thicker as we headed north and the vodka train group were anxiously preparing for their stay in a ger tent, while I wished I was going with them. Our schedules overlapped down the track so its likely I'll catch up with them again in Irkutsk. Once we arrived in Ulaanbaartur, I was greeted by my pre-arranged transfer, a cute Mongolian girl, Ennie, who spoke eloquent English, and her driver took me to my hotel after I bid farewell, for now, to the others. A lot of people speak Russian here, but the native language is a strange guttural mix of Russian and Chinese - totally impossible to understand, but there's something endearing about it. 

Ulaanbaartur is not a huge town really - more like a small version of Beijing complete with maddening traffic, pollution, honking horns, policemen blowing whistles, and a throng of quick walking people trying to avoid the cold.  It was -13C at 2pm in the afternoon but my thermal undies kept the important parts warm :).  After I settled in I walked down town to get some Mongolian cash, and stumbled upon the famous Sukhbaatar Square resplendent with a huge statue of the national hero in front of the Government administration building, which itself was adorned with massive statues of other famous Khans.

I thought I had seen the epitomy of Asian beauty in China, but there's some stunning people here. There also seems to be more Western influences here, or maybe they're just concentrated in a smaller space and I noticed them more. Its a contrast of dirty, post-revolutionary Russia and modern glam. But maybe like a lot of Asian cities, the beautiful people walk amongst the begging street kids and poor old men who shine your shoes.

Anyway, I've got a few things to go see tomorrow including the famous Gandantegchinlen (Gandan) Khid monastery and some museums. More to come ...

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

cool matt...sounds like you are yet again seeing some amazing things....just stay warm.

ps....danka email: dszolc@bigpond.net.au

You know mine I'm sure....but if you forgot it's chriso77@iinet.net.au

pps...lol...you probably come home an alcoholic..lmao

Take care bro.

  chris Dec 20, 2007 1:38 AM

2

wow, matt, you've only been gone less than a week and so many unreal stories already and your writing is fantastic -- makes it v easy to live vicariously! can't wait to see some pics :-)

  laurina Dec 20, 2007 1:08 PM

3

Hey Matt, Burke only just alerted us to the fact that you were doing updates already! I had been checking Facebook but it didnt show any posts other than your planning one -- so der roe thats how thick i am!!! Anyway one technical question -- how are you updating your journal? Was there internet on the train or did you do it via your phone?

Your trip sounds so good so far! The great wall, forbidden city, Mongolia....so exotic. But one thing travelling does show you is that its all a bit more normal than you think and that you can get to such amazing places all within one day's flying!!!

Its good you've already meet some cool people, you'll meet tonnes along the way so dont forget to facebook them ay? Laurina and I have made bets on how many FB friends you'll come back with!

Of course not much has happened here in the week you have been gone, except we're all hanging out to have a break over the new year.

Have fun Matt and now we know you're blogging -- we'll have something to look forward to every morning we get in....

  aberline Dec 20, 2007 1:17 PM

4

Hey Mattus, sounds like all senses are on overload! -13 oh my!.Thermals Rule. Is so good to read about your travels as you go. Ive been rolling about laughing, Harry n Gary whats with that???
Safe travels, really looking foward to your next entry!
keep warm if thats possible.
still lol
Vee

  mileage Dec 21, 2007 3:25 PM

5

There are few nice and warm hostels in Ulaanbaatar. One of them -Zaya Hostel. Staff was friendly and always willing to help. The room was very clean and no complaints. The bathroom has 24 hour hot water and good heating. Good location. 10-20 min walk to all attraction of the Ulaanbaatar. Including breakfast doubleroom ‘s cost 16-24$ . It is very good for us-budget travellors. Overall, a good value get UB in early morning from Russia by train.at the train station 7a.m.-20c.freeze.get zaya hostel +26c .good heating.

good journey.

  Matt Jan 1, 2008 1:30 AM

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mongolia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.