Existing Member?

A Lo Que Puede Ser Cosidas A few words about a short trip through somewhere in South America that hasn't been decided yet.

Visiting a Favela

BRAZIL | Friday, 27 February 2009 | Views [849]

February 22nd, 2009


Today was a day that I can never forget. We met up with one of Bruno’s ((…did I mention that Bruno grew up in Rio and was one of the best surfers in town. Now to be allowed to surf the best waves in Rio you have to be respected and the way it goes is this: To be respected enough you must be, 1: A really good fighter, 2: an elder, meaning you are old; or 3: you are a really good surfer. Bruno was (and still is) a great surfer. He made friends with many of the other good surfers who were from all classes.. And even a few guys from the favelas…)) friends who was working on the beach when I met him the previous day selling something out of a cart. We were meeting him for a personal, walking tour of one of Rio’s largest Favelas.


Our Guide

It was about an hour’s walk or so before we entered into the center of the tightly built city. It was exactly what I heard; buildings thrown together with whatever materials they could find. Sewage washing past us in narrow, open canals. Very poor people living here. There were only a couple of instances where I didn’t feel safe. We passed a group of guys (a couple of them heavily armed) and we heard the word “Gringo!” being yelled over and over. One guy had a grenade. They let us pass with no problem, probably as curious as I was for why I was there.

A few photos of us:







Bruno’s friend had been participating in a surf club that has been set up to help the children of the Favela learn how to surf and stay out of trouble.  He showed us the club HQ where they repair the boards and get together to watch surfing videos.



He seemed very passionate about the cause in his explanations. (…Bruno’s friend((sorry, don’t know his name)) has 2 children and he’s 21 yrs old. He seemed to be well respected in his Favela and knew everyone.  He owns a 3 story home.

He walked us up to one of the highest parts of the Favela and then we hiked up a rock face where he had a surprise for us… One of the most beautiful views of Rio.





And one that is definitely not seen by many people from out of town.. or out of that Favela for that matter. It was amazing. After a brief decent through the jungle we were back in the middle of the Favela. We walked back through and finally found ourselves at lower street level. As we exited once again were the guns and the familiar “Gringo, Gringo, Gringo…” My response was to just look at my feet and walk past. Seemed like the least intrusive method.

How can I describe it?  I would say that it definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone. I saw similar neighborhoods in some parts of Nicaragua but there was something different about it. I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend.  If you are going for a good cause then all the best but if it’s just to see something different I’d stick to the images on the internet.

For more photos of that and the trip go to:  http://flickr.com/photos/35617967@N08/

About mattjc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.