Existing Member?

A Lo Que Puede Ser Cosidas A few words about a short trip through somewhere in South America that hasn't been decided yet.

To Rio!

BRAZIL | Thursday, 26 February 2009 | Views [502]

February 20, 2009

Early flight to Rio!! No hassle at security, they let me take my water no problem. Didn’t even have to take my laptop out of my bag and place it in a tray by itself (I hate doing that)



Apparently Rio has the shortest airstrip in the world.. Let’s just say the plane stopped short. We dropped our things at Natailia’s place in Ipanema and hit the beach. Hot, crowded and exactly as I expected. I stuck out like a sore thumb being 1: the only gringo and 2: the only man not wearing a Speedo. I knew I should have brought mine..



The Christ



Michelle on Ipanema Beach

We met up with Michelle’s aunt who lives in a lovely top floor, beach front apartment.  Very nice people, we made plans to meet with her cousins later to go to a parade and made plans to meet ome other family in southern Brazil on their farm for ribs (explain later).



View looking north (East?)



View looking south (west?)   (notice the Favela on the side of the mountain close to the sea - What a view they have!)

Later we tried to get some cash from the ATM’s and had no luck. Turns out there are only a few banks in town where you can use your “Bank of America” card..  But I did find a Pharmacy where you can buy pretty much anything you want..... Stocked up on Imodium :)

We met with her cousins later and walked to the parade. This is a typical Rio carnaval street parade. It’s about 50,000 people following around 1 truck with giant speakers, crowned by a few singers. Everyone and I mean everyone is dancing.. An amazing experience.  Not many costumes in this one, anyone can participate.. just dance your ass off and you’ll fit right in.  Fun Fact: The mayor of Rio recently shortened the street parades to 3 hours not to tie up the city too long.

Tags: rio

About mattjc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.