Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Larry's Tour - Thursday 22nd Feb Day 15

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Friday, 24 February 2012 | Views [1026] | Comments [4]

Oh, oh. Matt's got a dodgy tummy! (stomach cramps - to much beer and peanuts yesterday, I reckon!) and the mozzies have been having a feast on us!

Yesterday we phoned around to try to get a hire car for a couple of days, but what a surprise, there's none to be had! We ask about buses, as we feel like we should see a bit more of the island.

We are just deciding what to do, when Larry asks if we would like to go and get some 'doubles' for breakfast with him. (Doubles is a traditional meal of chick peas and curry in some sort of fried dough, we think!). Unfortunately, the 'doubles' man must be recovering from Carnival too, as he isn't on his pitch! 

He and Joyce take us for a little tour of their local area, Diego Martin. (Parts of this are a bit dodgy, as far as safety is concerned). 

Diego Martin is in a valley, surrounded by very steep, hilly, rain forest. People have managed, some how, to build on the hillsides. Considering the chance of earthquakes and land slips in rainy season are very brave, or silly.

He then took us up a mountain road which came to a dead end. At the very top of the mountain was a Maritime Radio Point. We got out here and walked a very short way to a look out point, it over looked the ocean and coast line way down below, you could see a few smaller islands, one of which has a high security prison on it!

We then jump back in the car to go to a water fall called, the Blue Basin. We park at the bottom of a narrow road in a small car park, where there are some workmen. Larry asks if it is safe for us to walk up to the falls. They say it is, but they are leaving in about 1 hour, so we should get back to the car before they leave! Larry explains, that a few years ago, bandits were in the forest, the work men say that the police go up there occasionally, and because they have been working there for a while, the bandit's have moved on! (Reassuring to know!).  

It only takes us a short time to get to the falls, it isn't massive and as it is dry season it wasn't in full flow, but it was worth the walk anyway, and it was nice to talk to Joyce and Larry. He is very informative and knowledgeable about the local area, as he has lived here most of his life.

We then go around the coast to Chaguaramas, where Larry tells us about the history and how it was the American Naval Base from the second world war, up until the 60's.

A quick visit to a very small local beach, packed with locals. The beaches here, are no where near as nice as Tobago, but there is a lot more going on here.

We get back, starving! having missed out on breakfast. Make chicken, egg and salad for lunch followed by a trip to the Pharmacy, for Matt. (He's till not right).

We phone Ecuador and manage to book our first 2 nights accommodation there. I am very relived, as we do not land there until midnight and I was concerned about where we were going to sleep!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow evening? - Cooking a traditional Sunday roast, followed by fruit crumble for our host family! Nothing changes!!

Off now for my 3rd shower of the day!

Comments

1

3 showers in one day, is it your birthday or something?!? Hope poor Matt is feeling better enough to eat your roast. What meat are you having, a bit of goat? Loving to hear all about your adventure, keep the stories coming xxx

  Kirsty Feb 25, 2012 4:55 PM

2

Hope Matt is ok! not nice jippy tummy at your not in you own home x x Take Care x

  Maria Feb 25, 2012 9:39 PM

3

Hope Matts feeling a lot better today, How did the Roast go down with Joyce and Larry?
Keep the blog going I look forward to reading them, Hi Light of my day
Love you both loads xxx

  Jane Feb 26, 2012 1:46 AM

4

Would you like a pudding making?? we're now off to the Duke to watch the rugby with all our new friends that we've made in Barrow... So beautiful and sunny here today. Ooof spotted a lesser titted nutt but it can't of been you as your off to Ecuador! Oh, we make ourselves laugh..... We do hope Matt's Squits have thickened as well as your sunday roast gravy... But knowing how lumpy that can be??? E on is home rodding the drains..no tags attached so don't know who's... Tony likes spam and he's your man...call us on 0800 121 6969.
Would like to say that we've been missing you BUT... well actually I have cos I missed the village hall meeting!! Were was my text???
Need to go out to play now before it gets dark cos the ginger breadman is out and about and he's a dangerous bandit!!!
Stay safe and don't let the Moseley's bite!! Love Moo and Oof x kissy kissyx

  Oof and Moo Feb 26, 2012 3:39 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.