Existing Member?

When my ass was 26 years old...

New Years Eve

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 31 December 2010 | Views [538]

New Years eve – We’d heard that the Botanical Gardens are a great spot to watch the New Years fireworks from (thanks Angharad!).  After speaking to people at the hostel we found out they limit the capacity to 20,000 people so you have to get there early.  We arrived at 9am and queued with a few thousand other people. 

Eventually got into the site at about 1pm and headed down to the far end of the site nearest the water where the media area is. We managed to blag wrist bands to the non alchohol section and then proceeded straight to the bar. Cunning hiding of the wristbands with our watches worked a treat!

Sat and enjoyed the festival vibe and the sunshine with a few beers throughout the day.  There was an aerobatic display and also a smaller set of fireworks at 9pm to keep us entertained. Strange bit of sky writing by a plane,  ‘jesus lives’, hmm not really relevant to new years .  It got close to midnight so we grabbed our spot and stood and watched the midnight fireworks.  I’ve never seen anything on that scale before; there were 4 sets of fireworks off of floated barges, fireworks off three of the skyscrapers, and fireworks off of the Sydney Harbour Bridge; definitely worth coming to see if you ever get the chance and was a great way to start off our trip.  And of course midnight brought around Matt’s 27th birthday.  Happy Birthday again mate!

Matt’s Birthday – Treated ourseleves to a really good fryup in the Wake Up cafe over the road from our hostel then took a walk to the Sydney Opera House.  Matt geeked off about building processes and the like so he was content.  (I stand by the great concrete comments - matt).  Did you know the guy who designed the Sydney Opera House also designed the Labworth Cafe on Canvey Island?!  Shot some pool in the Side Bar that evening and had a few more beers to round off Matt’s birthday.

Tags: new years eve

About mattandandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.