Existing Member?

My great adventure

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was a train traveller

FRANCE | Wednesday, 20 April 2011 | Views [1776] | Comments [2]

ok I need to work on this theme some more.

The final leg of my adventure was to travel by train around a Europe.  The land of fairytales shouldn’t come as a surprise as it was here that castles surrounded by moats, churches with robed monks, villages nestled into hillsides with bubbling brooks and stone bridges became the setting of all these tales. It is here that Knights of old and maidens fair first came into existence and even the odd witch and dragon all originated in this part of the world.

I arrived in London a little jetlagged after some 38hrs of travel from Buenos Aires but was happily greeted by grey skies, cool weather and some friendly faces to take me to the local pubs. After a few days in London I took the train to Paris to meet up with the some friends from Sydney; Gerard and Suz who last year made Paris their home. We had a great time visiting cool suburbs and tasting both the cuisine and famous French wines. Paris is an easy city to get around and aside from bus and train you can cover many famous sites on foot.

I had read about the French government making a concerted effort to convince the population to change the international reputation they have for being rude to tourists. I must say I was pleasantly surprised although perhaps it had more to do with most people confusing me for being local given the fluency of my language skills. On the Sunday afternoon, after a few hours wandering around a fun local neighbourhood, the 3 of us stopped at a very small local bar for a glass of something cool to whet our whistles. As we entered the premises it was clear the place hadn’t had a makeover since the 50’s and I was pleased to see an old photo on the wall of presumably famous French writer who in the mould of Hemingway spent his days in the bar. The photo showed a man undoubtedly aged through hard living with a grey beard and unkempt hair. I’m not sure why all great writers look like sweatytoothed madmen.

Suz and I found a table near the bar (in fact all the walls were only 3 feet from the bar so everything was near) and Gerard sidiled up to make the order. In front of him was a young attractive French maiden with her back to him dancing as she pretended to clean bottles in a micro pair of cutoff shorts, cowboy boots to the knee and a top that ... well let’s say she was provocatively dressed. Gerard being ever the gentleman waited for a while but eventually realised she wasn’t paying him any attention so he interrupted her... and at this point a chill came across us all as she turned and shot him a look that at best could be described as hostile.. I guess she never read the memo from the government about being nice to the tourists. We stayed there for a number of drinks and took turns being glared but loved every second of the place.

Eventually my liver told me to leave the McCords and jump a train to see more of Europe so I headed to Brussels. As I departed I felt assured that spending some time on my own travelling would a nice change as the previous few months had included some hard living of my own and I was looking like a sweatytoothed writer. Within hours of entering the Belgium capital I began to recall their specialities; beer, chocolate, waffles and fries with mayo.. god help me. The city itself is gorgeous but after a few days of sightseeing it was time to jump on the steel horse again. I headed a few hours north to the Netherlands and the capital Amsterdam. I was lucky enough to find a great little boutique hotel which was a converted cannel house and began exploring the city by foot and ferry. I was shocked to hear that 80,000 bicycles are stolen in Amsterdam each year which sounds like an extraordinary number until you realise just how many bikes are there.. <Note - speak with my broker about buying some shares in Melvin Star>

A few more days of life to the excess and I boarded my train yet again this time to cover a greater distance leaving Amsterdam and travelling through Germany from north to south and then east to west before jumping off in Munich.

Once again I was in a city of 1000 years old churches and medieval castles. I had eaten or drunk in establishments across Belgium, Netherlands and Germany all older then western settlement of my homeland. I took a short trip from Munich and visited the town of Dachau which is most famous for having one of the original and largest concentration camps during WW2. It was a somber experience and one I will never forget. War is such an evil thing and its ability to change men and allow them to do these things to each other is shocking.

I returned to Munich and began exploring the culture. I started in a beer garden and progressed to beer halls and in between visited local markets where German sausages are served with..beer.

I was falling into an endless cycle so departed Germany for the precision of Switzerland and her capital Zurich. You would not believe my surprise when I came across 1000 year old churches in the city centre and markets and alleyways that were hundreds and hundreds of years old. Zurich like those cities before her was easily covered on foot with a few stops along the way looking for a nice watch to buy.. I didn’t make a purchase in the end as watches like many other things in Zurich are ridiculously expensive.

The train ride from Zurich to Milan took me via Austria (check a map as that is odd) but it did mean I went directly through the Alps and at times was surrounded with beautiful snow capped mountains and small little townships made of stone and included babbling brooks and women twirling as they sung about doe eyed dear.

From Milan I headed directly to Venice. I was back in Italy again. Ahh the food ohh the wine and yes the city is pretty and romantic but when travelling by yourself you skip some bits. I must tell you though that the secret is out about Venice. The main section, Santé Marco is more like grand central station at peak hour then an old Italian plaza, fortunately you can walk about 10 minutes and be away from most of the tourist to find a quiet little spot to have an espresso or some penne and a bottle of Chianti, whichever is your preference.

Three days whizzed past before I was back on the train and heading to Nice in the south of France. The train ride was unbelievable as once we left Milan was started following the coastline of at first Italy and then eventually France with hundreds of little Mediterranean towns with sunburnt building facing the beautiful blue water. I was surprised that the train line followed the coastline all the way and in fact in many cases was less than 50 meters from the water and what would be considered the some of the most prime real estate in the world. I would look down from the train to see the clear water with boats bobbing in the distance and people (often sans tops) sunbaking on the beach.

Nice itself has a lovely promenade which runs the length of the city although it will take me a lifetime to refer rocks beside the ocean as truly being a beach.. they need to import some sand. I found the smaller and quainter townships within minutes of Nice to be much nicer (sic) and even spent a great day having lunch in the sun in Monte Carlo ogling mega yachts. I was disappointed to see it was bring your own super model day in Monaco and no one told me and it isn’t just the thing you can pick up there.

I am writing most of thing from my seat on train as I slowly head home to Hong Kong. In a few hours I will arrive in Paris for the last night with the McCords and then off to London for a day and a few goodbyes before boarding the big bird to Honkers.

Europe is truly a beautiful place full of rich and interesting histories. It looks, sounds and tastes just as you would expect in something from a fairytale and I have no doubt I will need to come back to have more. 

Comments

1

I lke girls in cowboy boots

  G Apr 20, 2011 11:52 PM

2

Hey u are a gifted writer, the way u tell the story made me smile throughout reading it as it was full of good jokes. =)
two thumbs up for u!
and hey, its been my dream to go to europe and ride on the Orient Express (that is the name of the train) I heard that train is very nice.
so next time u come back again to explore europe, u might want to consider trying this partiular train, and who knows maybe we'll meet. Who knows. haha
But till then,
Cheers
Fidina Ambadar

  fidina Apr 21, 2011 3:35 AM

About matt_whitmell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.