Existing Member?

My great adventure

South America – a truly diverse continent

PERU | Tuesday, 29 March 2011 | Views [668]

I wish I could have spent more time in the countries I visited in South America and I also wish I could have made it to some others. From leaving Costa Rica I had decided to spend most of my time in Peru where I was going to explore the Amazon jungle and then make my way south to Cusco and finally Machu Picchu. A colleague I worked with in Hong Kong was already in Colombia after resigning from work last year to spend his days learning Spanish and his nights dancing salsa with Latino women. To protect his innocence I will give him the alias Shurley.

Once I mentioned my plan to spend time in Peru checking out jungles and lost cities Shurley jumped at the chance to join me. I decided to pop into Colombia to pick him up and check out Bogota.  Colombia has a reputation for being dangerous, be it drug cartels fighting each other in the streets, rebels kidnapping foreigners or setting off bombs. either way that was the past, or so I thought until I was heading to the airport and an American couple in the bus said the Farc had set off a car bomb in central Bogota a month earlier..ohh well I don’t have a car anyway so they will need to perfect the thong (flip flop) bomb to catch me.

Bogota is an interesting city that has a real vibe to it when the sun goes down, although the city is somewhat run down and looks a little grotty the bars and restaurants come alive at sunset and the place rocks (technically I guess it would salsa or samba or shimmy shimmy...digressing). After a couple of days we made our way to Lima and the beachside suburb of Miraflores. Lima is a large city and from the outside it appears there is a large contingent of poor people within the city. I was surprised to hear it has actually overtaken Colombia from drug production and exportation and the citizens are the ones paying the price of addiction.  Once you get past the poorer areas and towards the coast Lima metamorphosis to a tree lined modern city with a real charm about it. Again the real atmosphere begins with the setting of the sun.

Shurley and I joined a tour at this stage to navigate the Amazon jungle and ancient Inca sites finishing with Machu Picchu. There were around a dozen of us with the average age being somewhere in the 30’s.  We had a few Poms and a Canadian but the rest were Aussies which made for a bit of fun. We flew to Puerto Maldanado where we jumped a bus for an hour and then had a 3 hour boat ride before reaching out jungle lodge. Here we spent the days checking out wildlife and the evenings acquainting ourselves with each other and with Pisco Sours.  This was a true eco lodge with no hot water or even walls in most spots, but plenty of hammocks and great food. After a couple of days we headed back to Puerto Maldanardo and then on to Cusco in central Peru. From here we headed to the Sacred Valley and then on to Ollantaytambo and after 4 days we reached Urubamba. Finally we boarded the train to Agua Calientes and then Machu Picchu.

Machu Picchu was an inspiring location and we were lucky enough to get there early before the crowds and watch the clouds lift off the city as the sun rose in the background.  Eventually the tour was over and some of our crowd headed onto to Lake Titicaca (giggle) or other locations like the Galapagos Islands. Shurley decided he liked Peru and headed back to Lima to hang out for a while and I jumped a very expensive plane across the Andes to Argentina.

Buenos Aires is a large city which accounts for a quarter of the country’s population. It has a real European feel in the design and architecture but the years of failing economy have been taking their toll and it is visible. BA is like an aging beauty queen that still has all the pose and style and in the right light is gorgeous but unfortunately in the harshness of daylight her age and disrepair are obvious.  That said Argentina is a country that prides itself on beef and red wine.. what more can one need. I was unable to find any Parrillas that opened for breakfast which is probably best as having a ribeye and vegies is not the generally recommended start to the day and I am sure some people would frown on the obligatory bottle of malbec.

My initial plan in Argentina was to head north to check out Iguazu falls but the gods of travel quashed this with a power outage in the domestic traffic control and all flights were cancelled. Instead I did a day trip to Uruguay which is just across the river from Buenos Aires. I spent the day wandering aimlessly around the quaint little town of Colonia de Sacramento and then got the ferry back to BA.  The aging beauty queen that is Buenos Aires is completely worth the trip especially when enjoyed with great steak and red wine..

 

About matt_whitmell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.