Existing Member?

Memories will be made of this.....

Vino TInto

ARGENTINA | Monday, 8 March 2004 | Views [425]

Admittedly, last week I did say that I'd be raising a glass of fine wine for you all.  However, this may have gone a bit far and after time spent sleeping on floors instead of beds (because I couldn't quite reach it), I have come to realise the dangers of the stuff.  Hence, this update is quite short on things that I have done over the last week and a half.
 
We stayed in Buenos Aires for another week and finished our Spanish course.  Went to see Boca Juniors play at the Argentinain league against Velez Sarsfield.  The stadium there is awesome and everytime Boca score the whole stadium literally shakes by the movement of the fans.  Boca are currently World Club Champions, after beating AC Milan in Tokyo last year.  Quality game with the final score being 3-3.  The new bright young thing who plays for them is the 19 year old, Tevez (Bayern Munich offered 18 million pounds for him last season, but he turned them down).  Also, went to see them play in the Copa Liberadatores (South American equivalent of the Champions League) in a quite comfortable victory against Colo Colo of Chile, 2-0. 
 
We also went around Buenos Aires over the time we were there.  Saw La Boca area, where all the houses are painted in wierd and wonderful colours and went to various markets.  Bought a great leather jacket for about 60 pounds.  The shopping in BA is really good and everything is so ridiculously cheap.  I really liked the City and found it quite difficult to leave after 10 days.  If anyone has any jobs going in BA, I'm your man.
 
On Thursday, we got the overnight bus down to Puerto Madryn (another 21 hour journey), which was quite an unimpressive ride - however, got another large whiskey before going to bed (which I think is the highlight of the journey everytime).  The last few days have been spent getting ridiculously drunk (again - but not passing out this time).  On Saturday, we finally emerged from our drunken haze to go to Punto Tumbo - which is the largest penguin colony in the world, with over a million of the dopey little things there.  Spent ages watching them and they were extremely cute.  We were meant to go on another tour yesterday, however the Vino Tinto won the day and we missed the 7.30 am start.
 
And thats all folks, we are taking the overnight bus tonight further south and checking on the weather reports we will freeze when we get down to El Calafate (19 degrees at the moment,  brrrrrr).  Hope all is well and as usual, keep me posted.

Tags: I should have known better!

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.