Existing Member?

The Good Life My travel journal.

First week in Antibes

FRANCE | Wednesday, 23 May 2007 | Views [786] | Comments [2]

Han and me in the Nice markets

Han and me in the Nice markets

I am sitting in my gorgeous apartment in the Antibes Old Town – very happy to be here because this is my 4th home in a week, and I am sick of living out of a suitcase!  We have this place for 2 weeks, so hopefully will be able to get a job organised in that time. 

I left London in such a rush because Han managed to get the weekend off – so I gave myself a healthy 12 hours between leaving my job and going to the aiport!  Han met me in Nice and we had an awesome weekend chilling and jolling in Antibes, Nice and Cannes – so nice to be together again : )  We had an especially awesome Sunday chilling in a park overlooking Nice and the strip – v pretty!  I also got the grand tour of her boat – Eos – living in luxury that’s for sure!  I am very jealous!  The weather here is AMAZING – we haven’t had one grey day since I have been here.

The first week was a bit of a whirlwind, between seeing agencies, doing a few days of daywork and finding a place to stay!  (I also managed to fit in some chilling by the pool and on the beach).  Its so unlike me to be so disorganised, but I had only sorted out accommodation for the first 3 nights (with Elena and Patrick from STCW) so we were homeless from Tuesday.  Of course we chose the best time – with the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Grand Prix all going on at the moment, there was nothing available – it took me a couple of days to sort out this place.  I am now staying with a few people I have met over the last week – its hilarious how people go out drinking and pick up housemates here!  Everyone is very friendly, I guess because we are all in the same position!

There are a LOT of people looking for work here, so the best thing to do is “walk the docks” – be at the docks by 7.30am and ask for daywork on the boats – its pretty humbling, but everyone does it!  If you are at the right place at the right time you’ll be asked to jump aboard and work for the day.  I have done 5 days so far, including this weekend, so I am taking tomorrow off to chill in the sun!

Must go and have a drink to network!  Watch this space!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

haven't a clue how you set up something like this, but its impressive!
Looking forward to next installment and more pics
your mother! xxxxx

  Pam Zarnack May 24, 2007 1:48 AM

2

hello!

Sounds like an adventure! So jealous!

Megs

  megan May 25, 2007 1:50 AM

About mascha_z


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.