Existing Member?

Hayastan am Bob Markarian Lawrence. In April and May of 2007 I journeyed back to Armenia (Hayastan in the Armenian language) to reconnect. My grandmother, great-aunt, great-uncle and great-grandmother were the only members of my immediate family to escape the gen

Random Thoughts and Statue/Building Tour

USA | Sunday, 13 May 2007 | Views [3137] | Comments [7]

This is a wonderful statue. I couldn't read the script because it is so stylized. His first name is Arno but I couldn't read the rest. I remember reading somewhere that this sculpture was very controversial because some people thought it made him into a caricature. I love its energy and passion and humor.

This is a wonderful statue. I couldn't read the script because it is so stylized. His first name is Arno but I couldn't read the rest. I remember reading somewhere that this sculpture was very controversial because some people thought it made him into a caricature. I love its energy and passion and humor.

So nothing major today, just a series of small events and observations.

I went to an Orthodox Mass at Mayr Tachkr, the oldest church at Etchmiadzin. Echmiadzin the is Holy See of the Armenian Orthodox Church. The head of the church is His Holiness the Catholicos, Karenkin II. Mary Tachkr is built on top of a pagan altar. I wasn't allowed in to see it when I was here two weeks ago, but I understand that some tour groups get to see it. One theory I read is that when they built Mayr Tachkr, they left the pagan altar just in case "this Christian thing blows over."

The ceremony was beautiful. An incredible choir (one we saw in a DVD with Isabel Bayrakdarian - a Canadian Armenian Opera singer). The sound was stunning. I didn't like it that so many tourists were taking snapshots and videos of the ceremony. I thought it was incredibly rude, but no one enforced the no pictures rule (there were signs) so I guess they don't really care. For me, it was a strange juxtaposition to see people deeply involved in their faith with other people capturing the moment for the folks back home. I don't get it.

Random thought 2. - Mashrutkas. I love taking marshrutkas. They are mini-vans that hold 15 or more people. The seating is tighter than an airplane but once they are full, they just go. The buses are the cheapest way to go, but they stop and pick up people and drop people off so the trip is longer. I took a Marshrutka from Ijevan to Yerevan yesterday - about 90 miles and it cost $4. A bus would be about $1 and a taxi would be about $40. One thing I've learned about marshrutkas is that although they may have an approximate departure time (although I've never seen these times printed anywhere except the Lonely Plant - Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan - they really leave when they are full or nearly full. I had the fortunate chance to be the last passenger on the Dilijan marshrutka. I strolled up, took the last seat and off we went.

Random thought #3 - In my Eastern Armenia language CD's I learned the word "Hamatsainem" which means OK or I Agree. I have never heard this word used, not once. It has been shortened, apparently, to HA. It's not unsual to here someone talking with someone else and say Ha-Ha (pause) Ha-Ha much like the Russian DA-DA. Anyhow, I have a hard time remembering to use this because it sounds like flat or phony laughter. I'm working on it, however.

I believe that the Armenian people are extremely gregarious - that is, they hang out in groups. I see men walking, talking and eating together. Same for women. Men walk arm and arm with each other as do women. And I also see couples walking. But I rarely see a solitary man or woman - there are certainly some but they are greatly outnumbered by couples and groups. Today when I was sitting at a cafe by a pool at the Opera Square, I was just not getting a waiter to come over. And there were one or two groups who came and got tables after me. Finally, one of the owners suggested strongly to the waiter that he come over and see what I would like. After a while it dawned on me, the waiter was waiting for my friends to join me.

Random thought #4 - when I was out in the country (Sisian, Dilijan and Ijevan) there were no gas stations (or Benzene as it's called here). Out there all the vehicles except for diesel truck run on natural gas. It comes from Turkmenistan or Russia and is very much cheaper than benzene. Cars have three or four gas cylinders in their trunks.

Random thought #5 - I'm finally seeing some bicycles. Mostly they are mountain bikes and kids are riding them on the sidewalks - not in the streets. I have not seen one bike in the road. I've seen one scooter. So different than Italy. I don't know if the traffic here is more challenging or if bike riding is just not in the consciousness. On the way back from Echmiadzin, I saw a phalanx of bike riders with riding clothes and helmets on. It was like a mirage. Haven't seen anything like that at all.

Well, enough for now. It's hot and smoky in here and yes, smoke gets in my eyes. Kristina says you all are enjoying this blog and I'm very much enjoying writing it.

Sirem,

Bob 

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

bob,

I definitely enjoy reading your posts, the easy flow of your narrative, not to mention the humor. So when's the travel book coming out?

gary

  gary May 14, 2007 12:06 PM

2

I'm loving this whole trip! Especially the entries about the food and people and "fashion". Have made hard copies of all the entries for Mono so she can enjoy too. How about some pix of Anahit, her home; what does her kitchen look like? How did she get into the landlady business? What do her sons do? I picture her with a cobbler apron on in my mind's eye. Enjoy the last week and take in all you can; then come home safely!

Kezee Sirem-- Anoush Chris

  Chris May 14, 2007 12:09 PM

3

PS from Chris The Travel channel is missing a good thing if they don't put you on their staff!

  Chris May 14, 2007 12:11 PM

4

Bob,
I have really enjoyed reading your blog. I lost your email with the address and finally got it from Kristina.
What a different world you are in - I love the pictures. The sky is SO incredibly blue. You're quite the adventurer! Hope your last week is filled with more great sights, people and food. Travel home safe.
Love,
Liz

  Liz May 15, 2007 4:08 AM

5

That's the composer Arno Babajanian, who was born in Yerevan in the '20's & beloved by many not only in Armenia but in the entire former USSR (he died in Moscow in the mid 1980's, I think). The monument offended so many of his friends, fans and the general public that the sculptor, David Bejanyan, agreed finally to dismantle & modify it (I think the fingers were shortened and the face, believe it or not, was apparently made more realistic - photos I've seen show that the man's Durante-esque schnoz has not been exaggerated). It continues to offend, but apparently not enough to waste the $50,000 that it cost.

I read somewhere that the stone is Ukrainian basalt, by the way.

Jack D

  JD May 15, 2007 7:31 AM

6

Great observations.....you are "right on!" Being in Armenia is reminiscent of growing up in America in the 40's & 50's. Love the way you're playing your dudek across the countryside!!! If you visit your Aunt Madeline call us...we'll drive over to hear you play.. might even cough up $.50 ! If you're wearing tennis shoes or any kind of earth shoe..they'll spot you a mile away as an American. Laughed out loud when I read about your being at the restaurant alone and not being waited on...so true..no one eats or drinks alone. I'm surprised someone didn't invite you to join them..that would be the norm. By the way..ask someone to direct you to the Parajanov museum...I think you will really enjoy it. Continue to explore all those little nooks and crannies...they are wonderful !!! Jo & George

  Jo & George Asadorian May 15, 2007 1:29 PM

7

fabulous journey, wonderfully told. we are enjoying every entry, wish you were staying longer and coming home at the same time.
we'll miss the looking forward to the next day's adventure... Love, Danny and Helene

  the rimers May 17, 2007 9:59 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.