Existing Member?

Hayastan am Bob Markarian Lawrence. In April and May of 2007 I journeyed back to Armenia (Hayastan in the Armenian language) to reconnect. My grandmother, great-aunt, great-uncle and great-grandmother were the only members of my immediate family to escape the gen

Almost Kicked by a Duck

ARMENIA | Saturday, 12 May 2007 | Views [2779] | Comments [3]

A door lintel at Goshavank.

A door lintel at Goshavank.

Jack Datisman is Ukrainian by descent. I think he is the second generation born in the U.S. Before I left, he sent me an email with some very sound advice - I know he was thinking about my welfare and I took his words to heart. Jack first warned me that foreign countries are full of foreigners so don't be surprised when everything looks and sounds different. You get the gist of Jack's advice.

However, he did give me some very serious counsel. His Ukrainian babushka (grandmother) warned him very sternly about a Ukrainian curse that goes, "May you be kicked by a duck!" Whoa! That gives one pause for thought. Mind you this is a very serious curse. Jack waxed philosophical about whether a duck could actually kick. And what would it do? Now ostriches are a different story. I've heard that their kick is so powerful it can disembowel a person. What would a duck do? Disem-ankle you or maybe a tall duck might disem-shin you? I guess I didn't want to find out, but I had two occassions in Ijevan to hear Jack's words in my ears and feel shivers down my spine.

The first occassion was when I was in the Botanical Gardens in Ijevan. The gardens were the pride of the city at one time but the hardships of the last 20 years - earthquakes, the pull-out of the Soviet Union and the costly and bloody war against Azerbaijan have made economic recovery very difficult. The gardens have suffered from neglect although they are quite beautiful. The magnolias were blossoming as were other flowers, plum trees and other vegetation. I was at the far end of the park when I heard a very strange sound. At first it sounded like a child in distress. Of course, I started in that direction. Then the sound changed to more of a pig sound. Even though Artsun and I had just been in the wilds yesterday with the danger of feral pigs, I walked even closer. Then, amazingly, the sound changed to a duck-like squawk. Jack's warning ringing in my ears, I moved closer. Of course I moved closer, I want to die a slow death being kicked to ducks in the far corners of Dendro Park in Ijevan.

I finally got close to a puddle of water and there were three frogs. FROGS!!! making these sounds. So I am alive to tell the tale and not only is it hard to understand spoken Armenian, I also can't understand Armenian Frog.

The second occassion was much tamer. As I was walking through the village of Getahovit on my way back to Ijevan after a mountain hike, three geese took exception to my sharing the path with them. I figured that since they weren't ducks and weren't Ukrainian, I would just give them a wide berth and that worked. I'm still alive and kicking. Well, not exactly kicking but at least not being kicked.

Sirem,

Bob

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Hi Carnal,
Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date on your fabulous adventure. We appreciate you sharing with us. We are enjoying your blogs. Be safe and careful and have a great time. When you get back, I can tell you a few stories about trying to blend in with the locals. Now they are funny but not at the time. PR

  Perro Rabio May 13, 2007 5:01 AM

2

I can't recall Grandma Kirstiuk ever mentioning anything remotely like impressionist amphibians impersonating ducks, so you're definitely on your own there. I suspect that frog anatomy doesn't allow for much of a kick as long as you stay face to face, but still, I am glad to know that you are being reasonably cautious without allowing fear to stifle your healthy curiousity.

  Jack D May 14, 2007 5:53 AM

3

Just so you know, we found some frogs down here in Costa Rica that also speak duck. Come to think of it, they were on the Caribbean side, where even those of us who speak a little Spanish are flummoxed by the local dialect (jamaican-spanish-ese). Perhaps these frog-ducks are the amphibian representatives of the locals. We also have this bird that Hector dubbed the "Chicken Duck", but that's another story. I'll tell you when we get home.

Sure do love your blog, my dear! I'll be sorry when your trip is over, but glad to know you're back on home turf.

Love,
S

  Sarah Tyler May 26, 2007 3:10 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Armenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.