Existing Member?

Hayastan am Bob Markarian Lawrence. In April and May of 2007 I journeyed back to Armenia (Hayastan in the Armenian language) to reconnect. My grandmother, great-aunt, great-uncle and great-grandmother were the only members of my immediate family to escape the gen

...and Apparently Nationally Known

USA | Thursday, 3 May 2007 | Views [6189] | Comments [6]

My pals Sasoun, Ararat, Masis and other whose names I can't remember.

My pals Sasoun, Ararat, Masis and other whose names I can't remember.

So I went to Echmiadzin today. This is the Holy See of the Armenian Orthodox Church. The head of the church is the Catholicos Karenkin II. This was about a 45 minute bus ride. I wish I'd taken a minibus because once they fill up, they go. The bus stops to pick any and everyone up. At one point there were so many people on the bus, the driver couldn't close the doors which was a blessing for me since it let some air in.

In Echmiadzin there was a huge political rally going on. At first, I thought it was pretty cool since there were traditional dancers performing. But then it just turned into a loud gathering of thousands of people with loud music. Parlimentary elections are being held and we've also had some incredibly loud goings on in Yerevan.

So I went over to look at the churches and buildings in the Holy See. I was in the oldest church there, Mayr Tachr. I was absolutely beautiful. I lit some candles for all of my friends and family there.

As I was leaving, I heard a young man (maybe 17) say "Duduk." I turned around not believing my ears. He asked me if I had my duduk with me. After a little language fumbling, it turns out he heard me playing at Garni a couple of days ago. He was on a school field trip or some such thing. So what are the chances of this? We talked about this a bunch and he said that he was learing the duduk too. I asked him if he smoked (it seems like all the men and none of the women in Armenia smoke). He said "no" and I told him that was good because he would need his lungs to be strong. We took pictures of each other. He had about 6 or 8 friends with him. We had a wonderful time.

I was about churched out at this point - not to mention peopled out. And I seemed to have attracted three young boys who were becoming quite the nuisance. They weren't doing anything goofy or asking me for money, but they were just in my face. I asked them to leave several times and they would but they'd be back in three or four minutes. Finally, in exasperation, I shook my finger at them and said, "Amot Kez" (shame on you). And they left...

I am planning on another duduk lesson tomorrow with Gevorg and then I'm hightailing it (or lowtailing it since I'm going South) to Sisian for a few days. Don't know if I'll have internet access but I can't imagine why not.

Thank you all for the comments. I'm not replying to them - just not enough time, but I want you to know how deeply I appreciate you taking the time to write. I do feel very loved.

Yes kezi shad g'sirem.

Bob

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hola Carnal,
Sounds so fantastic and you are so adventuresome! The places that you will go, the things that you will see, the people that you will meet, ..... Playing the duduk for money and attracting young boys. Sparky and I are off the WEC meeting. Have a great time and enjoy, mi compadre. PR

  Mike Kelly May 3, 2007 1:45 AM

2

Love traveling with you via the blog! Takouhi and Agavnie are surely smiling down on you as you make this pilgrimage to the motherland!

Sirem/Bacheeks ooneem kezi hamar Chris

  Chris May 3, 2007 12:35 PM

3

Hello Bob

I'm a fellow Armenian living in Sydney, Australia. I just wanted to leave a comment after reading your journals. My husband and I were also lucky to make our way to see our gorgeous Hayrenik (Fatherland)in Sept 06. Your entries were very enjoyable reading and I just wish to say, enjoy the rest of your janabar (journey)! PS. Can you send me some Armenian tomatoes? :)
Have fun,
Rose (nee Izmirlian)

  Rose Diodati May 3, 2007 4:17 PM

4

Hi Markarian,
Keep the blog entries coming. I LOVE traveling vicariously through your writing. Isn't music absolutely magical for making new friends?

Mucho amor de Grecia

  Jota Te May 3, 2007 10:20 PM

5

My Dear Yechpayr,
Parev and Pari Gesorvan to you.
Inchbes es? Shad Lav em. Shriorhagalem for your wonderful
blog you have created!I miss you and wish I was there with you. Someday. Keep safe and keep having a nice time.
We are all thinking about you.
Pari zhampa Kezi, Yes Kezi Shad Guh Sirem
Your Yechpayr, Tim

  Timothy Markarian Lawrence May 4, 2007 12:58 PM

6

I'm so happy for you Bob! I like the picture of you and your posse! Thanks for sharing this amazing personal experience with all of us. As Leslie mentioned, we are curious about the food you are eating (or avoiding). Any comments? Also curious about day to day life.

rockar ian! Ingrid

  Ingrid May 4, 2007 1:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.