Existing Member?

Hayastan am Bob Markarian Lawrence. In April and May of 2007 I journeyed back to Armenia (Hayastan in the Armenian language) to reconnect. My grandmother, great-aunt, great-uncle and great-grandmother were the only members of my immediate family to escape the gen

I'm Now a Pro Duduk Player

ARMENIA | Wednesday, 2 May 2007 | Views [652] | Comments [3]

So today was very emotional for me but does have a funny conclusion.

I went to Tsitsernakaberd (Fortress of the Swallows), the Armenian Genocide memorial. The biggest day of the year is April 24, Genocide Remembrance day. Thousands and thousands of people from all over the world come to walk and lay flowers at the eternal flame. The 12 pillars that lean to the center represent the 12 provinces of Armenia that were lost to Turkey.

Today was a beautiful day and since it had rained last night, the air was clear and Mount Ararat, the spiritual home of all Armenias, was visible and dominated the Ararat Plain. It was a perfect day.

After I walked to the memorial and laid flowers at the flame, I sat down near the spire to eat lunch. Afterwards I got out my duduk and began playing facing Ararat and thinking of our families and all the people lost in the genocide. A couple of little kids came up and listened to me play. Then, at one point, someone approached me from the back and dropped about 80 or 90 dram (about 25 cents) by me. So there  you have it; I am now a pro!

Thanks to all of your for the comments. I'm reall enjoying them.

Until next installment, tsedesutyun,

Bob

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hello Bro,

Just got caught up on your latest wanderings...sounds like you're having a great time. I looked for the photo of the monestary carved in the rock, but couldn't figue out how to find it...I'll ewait for the final version when you get back to us... So glad you're doing well and getting around to all of the places you need to see...don't forget to take great photos (it's a must...I'll even let you put people in them)...

Miss you and hope all stays well with your travels...........

love ya.................Jack

  Brother Jack May 2, 2007 1:47 PM

2

Bob-
Your blog is wonderful- I feel like I am traveling with you. You sound immersed in the experience as I knew you would. Thanks for sharing the adventure- we love and miss you (unlike Jack I want to see some pictures of the people). Pam

  Pam Marshall May 2, 2007 1:50 PM

3

glad to hear that you are able to pick up a little extra traveling money playing the duduk. future there? ingrid and i want to know what you are eating. take care! leslie

  leslie May 3, 2007 1:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Armenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.