Existing Member?

Teacher. Traveler. t is the end of the journey... on june 1st i will turn in the keys of my apartment near IC Norte America, in Cochabamba, Bolivia...take a cab to the airport, and fly my magical home... Guatemala... behind i will leave a city in which i made many friends,

Roots & Wings

GUATEMALA | Saturday, 23 June 2007 | Views [899]

Roots and Wings
 

In June of 2004, after going to college in Arkansas for 4 years and teaching in Honduras, Costa Rica and the Carolinas in the USA for a total of 7 years, I decided to take a sabbatical in Guatemala. I had lived abroad for 11 years and I wanted to get back to my roots to the place that defined who I was.

I spent most of that year in Antigua Guatemala and Lake Atitlan. Two of the most beautiful places I know. It took me a few weeks to readjust to what was familiar. I was home. My family. My food. My people. My land. I felt "chapin" again. "Chapin" is the nickname given to Guatemalans. As the end of my sabbatical approached I began thinking of starting to look for a job. The thought of returning to teach in the USA came to mind, but a phrase from Mario Benedeti, poet and novelist from Uruguay, came coming back to me. He said in one of his poems: "The south also exists...!"

After giving it some thought I decided to go "south." I began looking for a job online. A couple of weeks later I was hired to teach grade 6 in Cochabamba, Bolivia. On August 10th, 2005 I arrived at my new home with 2 suitcases and a backpack full of dreams. For the next two years I had the opportunity to live, to teach and to travel in South America. I had the joy of becoming friends with many Bolivians and with many people of other nationalities. I volunteered in an orphanage teaching English twice a week. I explored Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia, I had previously traveled in Peru, Brazil and Uruguay. From the sunny Cartagena to the spectacular Patagonia. I watched the sunset in the Galapagos and sang at a Ricardo Arjona concert in La Paz.

In June of 2007, I went back home to Guatemala again. After those two years in South America I felt more chapin, more latino and more a citizen of the world. I am so glad I listened to that inner voice that reminded me that "the south also exists...!"

Thanks to that decision, now, I not only have roots, but I also have wings.

http://marioarana.blogspot.com/

Tags: argentina, bolivia, chile, colombia, ecuador, living abroad, south america, teaching abroad, venezuela

 

About marioarana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.