Existing Member?

Teacher. Traveler. t is the end of the journey... on june 1st i will turn in the keys of my apartment near IC Norte America, in Cochabamba, Bolivia...take a cab to the airport, and fly my magical home... Guatemala... behind i will leave a city in which i made many friends,

countdown

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 12 May 2007 | Views [608]

the countdown has begun for me to leave bolivia...one more month and i will be in guate... three more and i will be in cairo... i can't believe it !!! it seems like yesterday i was at a kjarkas (local folk band) concert having ron abuelo during my first weekend in cochabamba... here is something i wrote back then...
I arrived in Cochabamba less than two weeks ago… and I  a m  s o  g l a d  I decided to come here… why I am glad I came to Cbba ? Here are the top five reasons…  

5. the weather…
    clear crisp mornings and evenings… sunny warm days…  
    the city is called the city of the eternal spring... just like
    guatemala... hehe
4. the school...
    friendly teachers… great students… beautiful campus with  
    lots of grassy areas... beautiful views of the city and
    mountains from my huge classroom windows…
3. the city...
    plazas and tree-lined boulevards... one of the biggest
    markets in Latin America where you can find any
    imaginable product for a great price…
2. the scene...
    lots of lil plazas, markets, bohemian cafes, good and cheap
    restaurants and lively bars all over town…
1. the cost of living
    the incredibly low prices allow you to go out, have fun and
    spend little… nothing like a delicious dinner at a really nice
    place (couple of beers included) for 4-5 dollars !!!

I feel really lucky: I arrived on a Saturday, July 30th. On Sunday I bought the newspaper to look for an apartment and on Tuesday I moved to a second floor "garzonier" (an apartment behind a family house) very conveniently located (close to school and city life) … lots of windows… nicely furnished… nice, helpful and friendly landlord… quiet neighborhood just a couple of blocks from everything you can possibly want...

I have been out basically every night since I got here… the highlight of the week was the Kjarkas concert… a parent gave ten tickets to the school counselor and he invited all the new teachers… Kjarkas was so cool… they play traditional Bolivian music with passion … lots of fun…

So, this is my life in Cochabamba now…

wow... c r a z y... that was almost 2 years ago... i have truly fallen in love with this city... i will miss all the people i met here... i take with me so many memories...sigh...

so, in two weeks i am traveling to sucre, a colonial city of white houses and government buildings... simon bolivar along with local generals signed the declaration of independence of bolivia, peru and ecuador there... i wonder what he would have thought of having a country named after him... my last adventure in bolivia will be the first week of june when i travel to uyuni salt lake... the perfect end to my two years here, a surreal place in every sense of the word... as if you step inside a dali painting...

Tags: Adventures

About marioarana


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.