Existing Member?

Wanderluster A sneak peek into my adventures. Hope you like it.

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

ESTONIA | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [247] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Estonian Christmas

Estonian Christmas

“Head Isu” more than just bon appetite.

The clock pointed 7pm. The warm, deep smell of homemade black rye “leib” invaded every inch of the house. Bright cinnamon candles with dancing flames hypnotized the pupil. A blink towards the window revealed a long and cold journey of snowflakes claiming their role in the wintry white scene.

The first bite was an adventure into the unknown. My plate a contrast of colors, smells and textures. From the inquisitive yet eye-catching bright pinky colored “rosolje” made out of beetroot, to the infamous translucent jelly-liked “sült” a mysterious and traditional Estonian dish made with pork meat which I have to admit was rather scary. A plate full of flavor, but also full of history.

Grandfather’s eyes were tired but wise.  Just like my dish, they silently recounted a fascinating story. A story of survival, of fight and hope. As if reading my mind, he spoke words that made me forget a few seconds about the spine-chilling look of the blood sausage mom had just added to my already overflowing plate. He explained how hard it was for Estonians to survive during wars and tough Nordic winters with the little food they could get. Potatoes, fish, pork… they became their national food for they were easier to find and grow.

A bite of sauerkraut and a sip of the national herbal liqueur “Vana Tallinn” gave him strength to continue his anecdote. Suddenly I saw myself walking the magnificent medieval streets of Tallinn accompanied only by the essence of past surrounding me. Every brick and stone holding high the weak weight of old buildings, every soul slowly prowling towards the breathtaking Old Town, every courageous hand transmitting hope from one another strongly holding another 2 million hands joined for a common purpose. Freedom.

His eyes sparkled with pride, mine with sympathy. Centuries of effort and tradition opened up my appetite. A smile appeared in my face as “Head Isu” was spoken wishing everyone a great Christmas meal.

Maria

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

 

Comments

1

Just amazing.... I love it

  Paulina May 11, 2012 4:01 PM

2

Muy bien Maria... suerte

  Juan Sosa May 11, 2012 4:03 PM

About marianurz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.