Existing Member?

Wanderluster A sneak peek into my adventures. Hope you like it.

Catching a Moment - Place of turbid waters

MEXICO | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [394] | Scholarship Entry

“Trust me señorita, you’ll thank me later”. A petite slender man with swarthy skin tanned due to the excessive sun exposure, handed us a pair of old magenta colored bicycles before we could even agree on renting them. He swiftly explained us how to get to the main pyramid through the labyrinth of more than 45 rock-strewn dusty sacbés –ancient roads.

We hopped up the ramshackle bikes and eagerly prepared to explore the Mayan mysteries Pre-Hispanic Cobá was holding for us. Sapodilla trees flanked the sacbés as a thick evergreen curtain ready to reveal a beauteous spectacle. I was certainly thanking the charismatic bike’s man for the unforgettable 2km ride, despite of the pain the hard seat and low handlebar were inflicting upon my back.

Nohoch Mul -“big mound” in Mayan- rose imposingly, fighting against the devouring unpredictable jungle. We naively started off climbing what seemed to be a “not so high” declivitous flight of narrow rock steps. Half way gone, with just the safety of a heavy old rope plus the suffocating humid Caribbean heat, I felt my energy throwing in the towel.

Every movement was an odyssey. Going back wasn’t an option but the top seemed Everestly high.
Out of nowhere, a daredevil Mayan kid ventured hazardously nimble downward, jumping each gigantic step as a skilled sprinter. I must admit I felt fairly ridiculous then.

42 meters and 120 weather-beaten steps afterwards, we were exhaustibly yet buoyantly standing in the highest spot in the whole Yucatan Peninsula, breathing the fresh unpolluted oxygen-rich air.
Tiresome vanished nearly immediately as I turned around and a bomb-shell vision flabbergasted me. Bright shades of green reaching a 360° panoramic, far enough till green merged with intense azure in a perfectly straight horizon line; soothing serenity only interrupted by the gasping bushed foreigners tussling with great exertion to conquer the Big Mound; curious peaks of neighbor edifications rising among the thickness; gleaming reflection of nearby lakes that give Cobá its name – “place of turbid waters”.

I sat in the edge of the lofty structure with a fusion of vertigo and fascination. For an ephemeral moment, a gentle mizzle fell over the immaculate jungle. Mayans believe that rain the first time you visit an archeological site is a sign of good fortune. To me it seemed more like kismet. A surreal moment fugitive from a story.

The postcard extending in front of me was unbeatable. I felt such moment to be perpetual.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About marianurz


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.