Existing Member?

THE BIG ROAD TRIP Canada & the US

Powering home

OMAN | Monday, 29 June 2009 | Views [306]

Taos was the sweetest little town with great galleries and quirky stores, and we wished we had spent 2 nights there instead of in Santa Fe.  Had great food in Michael's restaurant and found 'the first trading post in the US', if you can believe the proprietor.  Just a little store, very old and a bit messy, with just a little bit of stock ... but cheap, cheap, cheap.  We bought wool and cotton rugs for about a third of the price in other stores.  Earrings were $1! Unfortunately, he only had one pair that I liked.  We spent a few hours in Taos and moved on.  We've been waking up and getting on the road pretty early most mornings, stopping for a coffee 9 or 10ish.

Next we visited the Garden of the Gods, a group of very big red rocks that just stick straight up in southern Colarado ... very pretty.  Then we just hoofed it up to Wyoming and camped for the night in a very small hick town called Kaycee, where the campground had a resident bunny hopping around everywhere, and trees that were shedding these blow-away seeds that covered the ground like a carpet.  They got everywhere and in every thing.  Wyoming had beautiful rolling hills, that flattened out a bit in Montana.  Such beautiful countryside.

There was not really anything else we wanted to see or do so we decided to drive all the way home to Saskatoon on the last day.  We drove for 15 hours, with LEK doing the bulk of the driving.  She was getting so excited as we we getting close to home that she started farting!  Hilarious!

We arrived around 10pm and there was a welcoming party of LEK's parents, with her mother frantically cleaning the house, and her boyfriend, Jason.  All lovely people who were very welcoming to me.  I have a bedroom in the basement that is very dark and quiet and the first morning I slept in till 11.30!!  And today I slept till 10.  Yesterday LEK and I went to town for haircuts, got a great haircut so am really happy about that.  The Jazz Festival is in town and there was some great music playing in the street.  Funny thing is the musicians are my contemporaries and they're all so old!!  LEK says I'm in serious denial!  We're going to the park this afternoon to watch some free shows ... looking forward to it, should be good.

About marcinoman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.