Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

Week 6

KENYA | Sunday, 16 December 2012 | Views [413]

I can’t believe I have only 8 days left here :-( I have really gotten used to it all, even travelling in matatus, which is something I never thought I would say. I love where I’m staying, I have made wonderful friends, I have met phenomenal people who have inspired me and I have formed relationships with beautiful children. How am I supposed to say goodbye? I guess I’ll just have to come back :-)

So I have a whole lot to tell you about haven’t I? I have been rather slack. Apologies.

 

Tuesday

Another wonderful day at the orphanage with the children. One of the boys had to be taken to the ‘hospital’ as he had a problem with his foot. I put it in inverted commas as I heard it was just two rooms with less than sanitary conditions and very basic medical equipment. Anyway, it seems he was a bit better after the visit so that’s a good thing. I spent practically all day in the classroom with the children, chatting and laughing and cuddling. Loved it. We decided to go to the mall after lunch to see if there was something the girls could buy to go to Cleo’s wedding on Saturday. We got to Wangige (the village closest to us that has a bit of a bus terminal) and decided to go to The Junction instead as we thought it might have a better selection. We asked which bus would take us to Junction, were directed to one and got on it. After a while we realized it wasn’t going where we thought it should. I have been there a few times and wasn’t recognizing anything along the way. Uh right, so we weren’t going anywhere near there as it turns out. Ok, let’s just catch the bus back to Westgate; we actually know how to get there. After that there was a series of unfortunate events that were just annoying but everything was forgiven and forgotten once we went to Planet Yoghurt. Yum, just yum – 12 different flavours of frozen yoghurt and loads of extras like strawberries, raspberries, melon, pineapple, passion fruit, brownie pieces, cheesecake pieces, wafer, MnMs, chocolate hail, gummy bears, chocolate sauce, coconut flakes, caramelized cashews and so much more. You put as much of everything you want in a pottle, have it weighed, pay and slip into heaven. Once the eating starts conversation is non-existent as we savour every mouthful of the yoghurty goodness. After that things got better. We didn’t find anything for the girls to wear but had fun looking around. I decided I was going to shout us all a taxi home so we didn’t have to rush home before dark. Later at home we had dinner, I gave Lucy mum’s donation (there’s just something about seeing it all in cold hard cash) and Agnes, Ana and I watched Eat Pray Love in my room. It’s a long movie that one so we only watched it part way through and I went to bed. Up early tomorrow. IDP camp day.

 

Wednesday

Up at 5:45am, showered and ready to go. Francis was downstairs when I came down and said “Luann, Karen and Lilly are going home today”. I thought he had made a mistake and said “no, no, on Sunday”. “No” he said, “they are leaving today. Lilly is not well”. They had gone on safari and had enjoyed most of it but Lilly was feeling sick, lethargic and generally under the weather so they only did 3 out of the 4 days of safari. They took Lilly for tests then decided together that it would just be best to go back to the U.S early. I was so gutted as I wouldn’t get to see them and say goodbye. Luann and I chatted on the phone and promised to stay in touch. Damn, that sux.

Moses, Wambui and I picked Kush up and headed to the camp. Once there we met with teacher Joyce who was going to help me with interpreting. She was really lovely and happy to see us. I interviewed her first and heard all about how she ended up at the camp, how she and her family lost everything and how the government had basically forgotten them. It was just heartbreaking. Everyone at Vumilia IDP camp is a victim of the post election violence and lost their homes and everything else because of the anger of those against the in-coming president. Over 1000 people died and about 100 000 were displaced. I heard how some had seen people from their village cut down as they tried to escape, had seen churches burnt down with woman and children inside and others had come back to their houses only to see victims’ heads littered outside. One gentleman didn’t want to be interviewed when asked as he didn’t want to remember what happened. Joyce later said he had lost two brothers in the violence.

Unfortunately my video camera batteries ran out super quick (grrrrr) so I only ended up with 6 interviews. All of them mentioned the same struggles and all wanted the same thing; a place they could call their own. The land they are on belongs to someone who is going to have to take it back next March. He has been extremely generous for five years now and understandably needs it. The people in the camp have no idea where they are going to go. They desperately want a small piece of land where they can build a permanent structure to live in rather than the ripped tents they have now and grow crops. One acre costs about 350000ksh (around $4000US) and 3 families could share it. That would mean about 6 000 000ksh ($70 000US) for 17 families which isn’t ridiculous but they have no way of getting any of it. Oh how I wish I could win the lottery! I’m going to write up all the interviews, include background info and put it into some sort of order. Hopefully it will end up as some sort of legible, interesting profile, article or e-book. I’ll let you know.

One of the women I interviewed was called Lucy. She was in her 60s and just lovely. She spoke in Kiswahili and Joyce interpreted but there was a lot I picked up as she was so animated. We got on so well. She asked how old I was then proclaimed that I was now her daughter :-) When it was time to go she didn’t want me to leave. So cute.

While Wambui and I were there interviewing, Kush and Moses went to Gilgil, the nearby town, and bought supplies for the camp with donated money I had. After the interviews we gave out flour and the clothes Lucy had donated; the rest was going to be distributed later. They were all so happy and sang a thank you song. Again many of them stayed to dance and I joined in. When it was time to go one of the women asked Kush if he could please leave me with them as she hugged me. So special.

I promised them all I would do my best to write their stories and that I would tell everyone I knew about what they were going through. We left waving furiously to everyone.

It was about 6 by the time we got near Nairobi so had some dinner, which was lovely as we could just sit and chat. I was so tired when we got home that I just zoned out until bedtime. Each day I see and hear things that make me so very grateful for my life; I am exceptionally thankful today.

 

Thursday

Braids day! After consulting with Wambui’s hairdresser who was going to put my braids in, we went to the supermarket to buy some hair as you do! Three packets came to a whopping $4. It’s so funny to me that they sell it everywhere; it’s as common as milk and eggs. There are many different shades so we chose one that was closest to my natural colour and headed back to start the process. Emily was fantastic, she worked like a machine. She took some ‘hair’ and plaited it with small lots of my hair then continued with the fake hair until the end. She was so quick, it was really impressive to watch. Despite her speed, the whole thing took about four hours. It was ok though as I was sorting out the hair for her and watching every step. At the end I had a head full of braids…and a sore scalp! She pulled it back into a style and I finally saw what it should look like and really liked it. I have long hair again after about 12 years! So very cool. I bought some spray to keep the braids in and a few hair ties then headed home with Moses who had come to pick me up. Agnes, Ana and Wambui loved it and all said I look so much younger. Excellent! I really didn’t think I would get braids when I was first here as I thought my hair was too short to put them in. So glad I got it done. I want them to last forever!

We had a quiet evening finishing Eat Pray Love and watching another movie downstairs. Bedtime and sleeping on braids. Should be interesting.

Lala Salama.

 

Friday

Back to the orphanage today which was so good as I was really missing the kids. The whole day was just spent cuddling and playing; best volunteering gig ever! There were some guests there today who had brought some donations as well as some treats for the kids. Everyone was in the classroom building as the guests chatted to everyone then gave out juice, biscuits and lollies as the kids sang. For some reason, little Moses ended up crying (no doubt on the receiving end of a whack) so I called him over for a cuddle. He came over and just snuggled up. He stayed on my lap for ages. Brain was sitting on the floor down beside the bench I was on and at one stage just reached up to me and held my hand for a while. I really love that little boy, I really do. I just want him to have everything, to be happy and healthy and, well, mine. As soon as I find a job back home I am going to sponsor him. And then there is little Moses, and Bobo and Muema and Joseph and Teresiah and Mary…and the list goes on. Again, I need to win the lottery! I guess buying a ticket would help, heh. I was a little emotional today sitting with them all in the class. The guests would talk and sing with them but I felt as if I really know the kids, am not just a one time guest, and they know me. They asked me to help with opening their biscuit packets and wanted me to sit with them. I’m so so lucky to have been able to experience this. Pure love.

I needed to get a few things so Ana, Agnes and I went to Westgate. We were all craving Planet Yoghurt so indulged again. I thought about how wonderful it would be to take the kids there, how much they would love it. We picked up a few things then headed home. We may or may not have bought a bottle of Amarula and I may or may not have had a few drinks and maybe gotten a little tipsy…but you know, nothing can be confirmed at this stage *ahem*. There are 4 volunteers arriving tonight and they’re staying for a couple of nights before heading off to their placements. They are getting here quite late so I’m staying up to say hi. Ana and Agnes have gone with Wambui to her aunt’s place to see if they can borrow something to wear to the wedding tomorrow.

I’m just so content. I’m safe and happy and just enjoying being in the now. I’ve had trouble with that in the past, worrying about what is coming, what has been and how everything is going to turn out but Kenya is teaching me that life right now is precious and shouldn’t be wasted on worrying about what may never be. If you ever feel overwhelmed by all-consuming worries, find some children to spend time with and watch as they fully immerse themselves in the now and enjoy every second of colouring in, pouring water, watching a butterfly. Go back to what you used to know; now is all we have. 

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.