Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

All You Need Is Love

KENYA | Sunday, 9 December 2012 | Views [458]

You know, I really feel like I’m doing what I hoped when I first decided to come to Kenya. Although it was great at the school there didn’t seem to be as much opportunity to create relationships with children or adults as classes were only 35 minutes long, we had different ones each day and the teachers were always busy although would always come and say hello to us. At the orphanage we spend everyday with the same people and although it has only been 5 days it feels like we are part of their lives already. The women who work there are always happy to see us, Dorkus (I think I called her Doka in the last few posts, oops), one of the older girls greets us with a huge hug and the children always run to us in the morning, happy to see us again. It is so special. It has been one week and I would be sad if I had to leave now. I don’t know how I’m going to feel on December 21 when I have to say goodbye to them all. Hmm, best not think about that right now.

Wednesday morning we met Agnes and Chung, other volunteers who have been staying here, who arrived back from their stay in Mombasa. They had travelled on the over night bus which is apparently not the most comfortable way to travel so they were both exhausted. Karen and Lilly were going to spend the day with friends who had recently moved to Nairobi so it was just Ana, Luann and I going to the orphanage. Each day is more relaxed than the previous one. We help preparing beans for lunch and dinner, play games with the children and generally spend time with them. It is so lovely.

Today was so uplifting for me as I gave donation money to Lucy to buy food for the orphanage. Thank you so much to everyone at home who donated cash. Believe me, you have helped more than you know. It was such good timing as all they had left in the food store was beans and it was getting a bit desperate. I gave Lucy the equivalent of $110 US (and more is coming), which she spent on two gigantic bags of rice, washing powder for clothes and soap for the children. She was so very grateful and the children were able to eat rice for lunch for the first time in ages. It felt amazing! One of the women who works there came over and sang me a song, which basically says thank you and God bless you. Rice never tasted so good!

While preparing the beans for lunch, Dorkus (who is 19 and 13 days younger than Ana) taught me a song she sings in church. She has such a beautiful voice; it is wonderful to hear her. I managed to get it mostly and sang along with her. We’re going to sing it to Lucy when we perfect it.

After lunch we started walking home with David, one of the older boys, accompanying us so we knew where we were going. As the four of us walked along the dirt road side-by-side, it was noted that representatives from four continents were walking together, Africa, Europe, North American and Oceania. Kinda cool. International relations at their best.

We met Moses coming the other way in the car, he had come to pick us up so we got in and headed off. We had a relaxing evening chatting and hearing all about Karen and Lilly’s day. They had gone to the Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Centre and to market day at The Junction. Josh had gone with them to help them trade and shop. They had heaps of fun but it was pretty full on. They showed us what they had bought/traded. It was all so beautiful. I am going on Saturday again with Wambui (Lucy’s daughter), Ana, Agnes and Josh and may even attempt the trade thing. We shall see if I’m game enough.

I headed to my room around 10:30 but ended up listening to music, writing my blog, looking through all the photos Luann and I had downloaded onto my computer (there are two I am going to submit to the IVHQ photo competition) and basically chilling out. It was getting pretty late which is the time my mind starts wandering. I started imagining what it would like to take Brian, Joseph and Bobo back with me and raise them. How they would adjust, what it would be like to be a mother to them. The thing is there are about 3 or 4 others I would want to take with me too! I could almost see them in school uniforms, playing with their new friends, falling asleep in my arms. It is completely unfeasible but the idea was so wonderful nonetheless. I figured I ought to go to sleep before I started planning how it was practically all going to work.

Lala Salama.

 

Friday

Lilly woke up feeling quite ill so she and Karen stayed at home today while the rest of us went to the orphanage. There were more hugs and happy greetings when we arrived. I’ll never get sick of mornings at Gathiga. The little ones were particularly close to us today. Luann and little Mary have become really close and she admits the thought of adopting her has crossed Luann’s mind. I’m not the only one! Bobo came and sat on my legs (I was on the ground helping out with some jigsaw puzzles), as did little Muema and Mary – who needs to be able to walk when you have these wee angels with you. They may be small but are rather heavy altogether! Bobo was fascinated with my sunglasses and kept sliding them down off my face so she could see my eyes then putting them back up again. She would come really close, noses almost touching looking into the glasses then at my eyes. She would put her little hand on my face; too too cute. It is especially sweet watching them chatting to each other or singing in their adorable wee voices. We finally all got up but Bobo wanted more cuddles so we wandered around with her in my arms. I could get used to this. At some point she got down and Muema (he’s about 3 years old) wanted to come up. We wandered past Francis who said, “You look like you belong together”. “I wish but I don’t even have a job! We would end up starving together” I joked. “But you would have love” he replied. How true. I guess it’s all you really need.

Dorkus and some of the others were putting braids in one of the girl’s (Rachel) hair. It was so cool to watch. You buy the extensions then plait them from the scalp with the real hair and continue with the fake hair until the end. If done properly, and it was, I think it looks really good. I was quite tempted, actually I still am. Hmm, you know what, I think I might give it a go. Apparently my hair isn’t too short although it is softer and more slippery than African hair so the braids wouldn’t stay in too long but so what. There is a salon nearby that does them really well. Now don’t hold me to that decision but I may end up going back to Australia with braided hair! I dream I have long hair all the time and always wake up disappointed. Many of my dreams have come true since I’ve been here so why not that one?! Watch this space.

We said goodbye to everyone then headed off to the matatu stop with Francis. It was a much nicer experience than basically every other matatu I have been on. It wasn’t crowded, there wasn’t loud music going and the conductor wasn’t shouting for customers whenever we stopped. We stopped at Wangige market (near where we live), went to the post office and to the supermarket for supplies – read soft drinks and chips! Another matatu, a bit of a wander and we were home. Luann, Karen and Lilly are off on safari tomorrow (I would go again in a heartbeat if I could afford it) so they had an early night and the rest of us watched a DVD. It really feels like home here. Happy Marcella.

Lala Salama

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.