Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

Party party party!

KENYA | Thursday, 15 November 2012 | Views [533]

Short post time...

The weekend of Caitlyn’s birthday arrived! The boys collected us from our homestay early Saturday afternoon (they live literally around the corner) and we were off into the city on a matatu – mini van that serves as a bus. Into the city we went then headed for the monkey park. We bought peanuts along the way to bribe the monkeys in coming to see us. I thought it was a park with admission but it’s just a park like any other except with resident monkeys. My peanuts were stolen more often than not – they’re not shy that’s for sure but I finally learnt to keep hold of them. Monkeys were climbing on our shoulders to get better access to the peanuts (they were pretty yummy actually. I devoured a packet myself, the peanuts that is, not the monkeys) so there were lots of photo ops. Not entirely sure how/why but I ended up being scratched on the face by one monkey. It’s ok mum, it didn’t break through the skin, no rabies alert here! Still I was a little unimpressed. He didn’t get any peanuts from me from then on!

After that we headed to Josh’s friend’s place. Anena is a Canadian who visited Kenya to volunteer about 3 years ago and she hasn’t yet left! She works in Nairobi and has adopted two Kenyan children. One is Beauty who is now 19 and Jemma who is only 6 months old. Both just gorgeous! We chilled out there for a while, chatted to the volunteers we know who are staying next door (small world) and arranged ourselves to head into the restaurant we had booked at for Caitlyn’s birthday dinner. Arthouse was wonderful! Delicious food, great service, great atmosphere. After that we headed to a club/bar called Black Diamond for drinks and dancing. We then relocated to another place for more drinks and dancing and stayed there for the rest of the night, or should I say morning! We didn’t get back to Anena’s till about 5am!!  Too late for this aging chick. Ah well, it was pretty fun.

Lala Salama, or should I say habari za asubuhi (good morning)

 

Sunday

We got up about 11 and headed off to find some food in Nairobi, bumped into some other volunteers we knew then caught a matatu back to Mlolongo. The plan was to head to Connections and lie by the pool for the day but the young ones (that means everyone but me!) were all pretty tired and perhaps somewhat hungover so it was a very quiet day. Today was officially Caitlyn’s birthday so we had a nice dinner with Joseph, Geraldine and Ann. We sung happy birthday and she was given a gorgeous bracelet as a gift :-)

Weekend done.

Lala Salama

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.