Existing Member?

A Kiwi in Kenya My adventure volunteering in Kenya 2012

Waiting waiting wating

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 28 October 2012 | Views [321]

Insect repellent, check; sunscreen, check, malaria tablets, check; pharmacy for all known and unknown ills, check; all material possessions required, check; heart palpatations, check; butterflies in tummy, check. Yep, I think that's everything. 

 

The day after the day after tomorrow it all begins, the trip of a lifetime, the adventure I've been wanting to go on for an age. I think I have a basic idea of what I'm heading to, very basic mind you, more like a feeling or an inkling, in actual fact I have no clue!  I've done a bit of reading, talked to a few people and learned some Swahili phrases ('I'm sorry' and 'where is the toilet' are committed to memory!) and those things may prepare me slightly but of course I won't know until I get there and experience it. 

 

Truth be told I'm a little nervous about the culture shock. I know, theoretically, that the poverty is confronting and all around and that Africa's rhythm is unlike anything I have encountered before but is that enough to prepare me for what I'll see and feel when I actually land and look around? It still seems so out of the realms of possibility that I am about to fly to Kenya on the East Coast of Africa. Africa. AFRICA! Good lord! How did this happen?  

About marciechiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.