Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Christchurch to Palmerston North

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 15 July 2009 | Views [569]

My last few days in christchurch were spent with a friends mother who put me up for the night and another friends mates who all very kindly looked after me and showed me around parts of christchurch i wasnt able to see without a car. Really wanted to go to Akaroa, a little french influenced town which is supposed to be lovely but ended up chatting the morning away with my friends mum so didnt have time. After a short flight i soon arrived in Wellington in the north island. 5 nights later ( i was only supposed to stay 2) i didnt want to leave. Its a lovely walkable harbour city with some lovely walks around oriental bay and up mt victoria which has some great view over wellington. Wellington is great as the 3 major attractions, Te Papa museum (one of the best ive ever been to), Parliament House and the Archives (where the Treaty is kept) are all free - bargain!! I also checked out Zealandia - a recently rebranded wildlife sanctary and the botanical gardens which all added to my soft spot for Wellingon. Met a mates mate for a drink and next thing you know it was time to push on to Palmerston North.Only spent one night in PN but the highlight for me was the marvellous rugby museum here. My favourite display piece was seeing a picture of an 1892 Nelson rugby team - off to play rugby ...all in a horse and cart!!! Very funny. Gave some feedback and told them the need more on womens rugby mind! In Wanganui at the mo, a lovely riverside town known for its river canoeing. There are not other tourists in the hostel and sadly there dont seem to be many others around and up for canoeing so think i will give it a miss. Went for a lovely riverside walk today and plan to go on a steam boat tomorrow. Pushing on to New Plymouth on Friday 17th.Too early to compare the north island to the south but it is deffo warmer but wetter too!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.