Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Catlins Coast to Christchurch

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 12 July 2009 | Views [644]

The other side of Curio bay is the glorious and deserted Porpoise Bay where i was hoping to see more sealions but without joy. The bay nonetheless was worth a stop with lovely long stretches of golden sand and rock and some seaweed which looked like it could have come from mars! Pushed on to Nuggest Point which again was a bit of a let down in terms of its promised wildlife (promised by Mr Misery at an earlier information centre) but made up for it with lovely views from the (windy) lighthouse at nightpoint.

After a short stop pushed on to Dunedin arriving after dark. Stayed at a Brighton friends mothers house and had a wonderful homecooked meal which i am was hoping was minced lamb rather than beef which i dont eat (too polite to ask and beggars ..)!!! Sadly didnt have time the next morning to enjoy the delights of Dunedin but taken aback to see my Brighton mate with long hair in one of the family pictures!! After seeing the "steepest street in the world" (one of dunedins selling points) headed off pronto toward Christchurch. It was a long drive and it was quite evident we wouldnt get there till  late so stopped off for the night in a cute little town called Geraldine which reminded me of my irish friend back in the uk. It basically is a one street town with not a lot to do after dark during the weekday when the cinema is closed but managed to find a bar to have a few drinks and the worst pizza in the world!!

Before i knew it, was back in Christchurch and my south island trip was over. I can safely say that in terms of scenery, NZ tops all the countries so far. Having spent a month here, i realised that i will have to return as there is soo much more to see

Managed to squeeze a quick road trip down along Arthurs pass to Greymouth and got the marvellous tranzalpine train back to christchurch. Wonderful mountain views and the longest tunnel ever where before you enter you are are surrouned by lush rain forest then arrive the other end to 6 inch deep snow covered landscape...just awesome

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.