Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

India in General (Bulay Bulay)

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 28 March 2009 | Views [402]

I had been to india 3 times prior to this visit and the last was itself qutie touristy in as much as i went to Goa, Agra, Shimla, Dehli with my Uncle and his family as well as the pend in the Punjab. This time was different for some reason. Even though i have the advantage being able to (partly) understand the lingo i was apprehensive about travelling in India on my own as previously someone else had always made the decisions about where we went, how we got there, payment etc. However, having managed to get around a bit of Rajastan on my own on this trip and with relative ease I have a desperate urge come back to india and explore. If i didnt have a week booked already volunteering at an elephant santuary in Chang Mai next week i would definately have extended my visit. There just seems to be so little time in this year off!!I absolutely loved it and the food is to die for. I also loved spending time with and seeing my family of course. Not only my mother and brother but also my cousins and their children who sadly i just dont see enough of back home. I had been feeling homesick for a while and seeing the family was just what i needed. I was really upset when my mum and bro left but having my cousins around helped so much and made it less painful. They looked after me. When i said goodbye to them last night there were once again tears as it sunk in that once again i will be on my own moving foward away from my loved ones.

Onwards and upwards i guess.

Forgot to mention the entry fees....Most entry fees have one price for a local and another for a foreigner. Sometimes the difference can be quite subtantiall. I paid 20 rupees for the Taj where as foreigners have to pay 750 rupees. To be honest i dont mind paying a tourist tax contrary to my brother who objects. That said everytime i asked for a ticket i was just given it at the local price and there were  no complaints from me being a budget traveller. After Punjag and getting back on the backpacker trail in Rajastan you can definately notice how tourists are charged more. I guess its the same  around the world and why not.Its all money ploughed back into the economy.

Safely arrived in Chang Mai, Thailand this morning (27th March). going to be here until the 30th then head to the elephant park for a week where i will have no internet/wifi access so dont worry if you dont hear for a week or so.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.