Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Mount Abu

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 28 March 2009 | Views [329]

Cool climate, stunning sunsets, awesome food and great company (I met a lovely german girl i ended up hanging out with) - that just about sums up Mt Abu. More a honeymoon destination, i nearly didnt go but i am glad i did the windy and hair raising journey up this mountain in southern rajastan. There were more indian tourists (mostly gujaratis) than foreign tourists which was lovely as the men (with their great curled mustaches) and women wore such vibrant coloured saris and turbans which made for great people watching. As its less visited by westerners, the town has a nice chilled and calm feel about it. Sadly i only stayed one night but its the sort of place you could stay a good few days. The hightlight was an old Jain marble temple which was so intricately and delicately carved and so beautiful that i think it has to be the best temple/building i have seen so far (yes topping the Taj and Angkor Wat in terms of its detail). In addition, the atmosphere at "sunset point" was worth the 6 hour trip to Mt Abu. It was buzzing with school groups/ indian families and tour groups all enjoying themselves as they crowded around to see the sun set. Monkeys (langa ?) were jumping free tree tops amongst the crowd to steal corn on the cob from little children. Vendors were selling masala popcorn, berries, chai and fruit. Men were galloping past on their horses offering rides up the hill to sunset point.There were even coolie type guys who would wheel people up too in the wheelbarrow/cart type contraptions (which would never pass H & S in the UK) and all in all the evening had a friendly lively feel about it.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.