Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Mekong Delta, Vietnam

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 26 November 2008 | Views [245]

Managed to cross the border (a relatively new one) from Cambodia to Vietam without any major policital incident although I did have a bit of a moment on the Vietnam side when I was caught in between Border Control Man 1 wanting to see my Vaccination Certificate (which was in my main ruck sack still on the motorbike being looked after by my driver, who has himself already crossed the border)whilst retaining my passport and Border Control Man 2 who would not let me pass to get my Vaccination Certificate without seeing my passport. I was caught in between both men who were at opposite ends of the office (and so couldnt communicate directly). Everyone was shouting whilst I was trying not to roll my eyes. In the end the moto driver who could only speak Cambodian came to the rescue and bought my bag to me!

There was no drastic change as between the Cambodia/Vietnam border as there was the Cambodia/Thailand and much was the same on the Vietnam side except that it is a bit greener and by law i had to wear a helmet (thankfully) and everyone was wearing those steriotypical cone shaped straw hats!

after waiting 2 and a half hours for a bus, I headed to Chau Doc which is a town further along the border from where I organised a 3 day tour along the Mekong Delta which is in South Vietnam. Already I have been on a motorbike, bus, coach, numerous boats and a ferry and a taxi! WE took a ride in a boat to a fish farm and then went to a Cham minority (muslims) village where I saw how they made scarfs sarongs towels. We then headed to a place called Can Tho where I was picked up with 2 others to head to Phon Dien village by boat for a homestay with a local family. When we turned up the 3 of us were delighted to see that were were the only tourists in this home. Sadly another 17 turned up later in the evening (altough they were all very nice people) so it wasnt as quite and a "homely' homstay as I thought it was going to be.

In the evening we made some spring rolls and had some traditional vietamese food although I skipped the fish that was gauping at me on the table!. All in all day one was pretty cool except for being eaten (again) by mozzies!!

Day 2 we had an early start after breakfast and took a small boat to see two floating markets in the mekong delta called Cai Rang and Phong Dien which were amazing. Quite litterally there were people buzzing around in their boats from one boat to another selling and buying all sorts off goods off each other from vegetables to all kinds of fruit. I'd never seen anything like it and it was nice to see it was a real local market selling local produce rather than geared to tourists selling souvenirs.

We then cruised along small canals passing quiant riverside villages watching locals doing their morning laundry, fishing, swimming and chatting. After lunch we watched Vermicelli being made and now I am safely in a place called My Tho. Most of the tour party have headed to Saigon as they only did a 2 day trip rather than a 3 day trip like moi. So tomorrow I head on another cruise to Tortoise Island before eventually heading to Saigon.

My hotel here in My Tho is right on the river front and has a lovely balcony overlooking the river. Have just got back from checking out the local market and had an amusing encounter with a local market vendor who eventually sold me 2 oranges for 8000 Dong (just under 50p) after coming down from 10000 dong but then deliberately shortchanging me 10000 to see if i would notice. I of course did and she and her friends all laughed after she was busted and handed over the shortfall. I signalled that I wasnt stupid which made them laugh even more. It was all in good spirits and i didnt take offence at all as I laughed back.

I am now in an internet cafe surrounded by about a million children on the other computers all playing online games VERY LOUDLY - JOY!!.

Weather in Vietnam is not as good as Cambodia. Its been raining at least once a day but only for a short period. Guide book says rainy season ends end of Ocotber - local says end of November!!

Thats all for now folks - hope to upload some pictures in vietnam

Ten 4.x

 

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.