Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Siem Riep, Cambodia

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [260]

This will have to be quick (ish) as in yet another internet cafe with a very slow connection (no wi fi at my hostel so my newly purchased laptop is a bit redundant!!). The bus ride from Bangkok to Camodia was "interesting" to say the least. I had heard of the "bangkok to siem riep" bus scam (apparently guesthouses pay the bus comany to take you on a detour which is longer and bumpier than normal so you end up at your destination (which is the overpriced guesthouse) shattered and not likely to find an alternative place to stay. I didnt really think I would fall "victim" when I got on the bus. But soon after the journey was underway the bus company offered us a "visa service" whereby they would get our visas and only charge us 1200 thai bhat where as the border guards would allegedly charge a minimum of 1000 thai bhat and probably more. I had planned to get the cambodian visa myself by walking from one border to the other albeit fully aware of the rumours that the cambodian guards had a tendancy to charge for hidden extras and thus inflate the price. However, everyone else on the bus  (all tourists) were going for the "service" and I like a sheep, followed the crowd. Parting with my passport for about 3 hours was a bit worrying and I think it will be the last time I do that but thankfully all turned out well and we all managed to cross the border without any problems. We had already stopped for lunch at the Thai border at a restaurant owned by the bus guide's sister and no doubt the prices were inflated but I didnt know any better as I wasnt used to converting Thai bhat to Sterling.

The difference on either side of the border is quite stark. The poverty of Cambodia is immediately noticeable at the border crossing with unmade dusty and potholey roads, children walking around shoeless etc. Within 10 mins I had seen 3 amputees (I assume vicitims of landmines) which although anticpated was still quite shocking.

I then braced myself for what I had heard was a notoriously bumpy journey to Siem Riep but was pleasantly surprised as it wasnt actually that bad. Passed loads of rice fields, coconut trees and houses on stilts. On arrival there was quite a lot of pressure to stay at the guesthouse but I managed to hook up with a couple who also didnt want to stay and managed to walk along a bit and a tuc tuc ride later found the Smiley Guesthouse which had been recommended.

Next day, I bought myself a 3 day pass to Angkor Wat (AW) and the surrounding temples. AW is as you would expect. Quite a wonder. It is just as I had imagined it to be, although smaller. The real gems for me however were some of the other smaller temples (there are 108 in total) and in particular Ta Prohm which is basically a ruin of a temple but whats amazing are the ancient trees and the meandering tree roots which are gigantic snaking in and out of the temple arches, walls, doors and windows. I know my tree nerd mate would have loved it. Whats the big deal about a few trees I hear you say? Well check out Tomb Raider as it was part filmed there and you will know. I hope to upload my pictures just as soon as I can but not sure when that will be. 

The weather is glorious and the people here are lovely and smiley. A complete contrast to china in as much as the Cambodians are far more expressive. If you smile - they smile back right at you which is nice. Most people here speak English and dare I say it but its quite a welcome relief from having spent a month in  China where the majority of folk did not speak English. Its early days yet for Cambodia but it has the thumbs up so far.

Am leaving Siem Riep tomorrow and going on a river boat cruise to Battambang (supposed to be the best scenic river cruise in Cambodia) with an Irish friend of mine I met in China and her mate. I will be there for a few days I expect then heading to the capital Pnom Penh for a few days where I should have good internet access.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.